diy solar

diy solar

Connecting 2 charge inverters in parallel through single phase

solar_pete

Hey everyone,

I'm new here, thank you in advance for your time and help - I hope to be able to contribute in this forum over time :)

I have a question about setting up a single phase system with 2 Sungold 5000W inverters.

I have already hooked them up, everything according to the manual and schema on how to run them in parallel, and it's working well so far, configured in split-phase.

I don't need split-phase however, as I only run 120V appliances.

Currently, since the 2 hots from each of the inverters are going into the main panel into a two-pole main breaker, each bus bar is supplied by one of the inverters independently, so they're not sharing the load.

I'd like a single phase system, where the two inverters share the load, and I don't have to monitor which bus bar I have to use to run certain appliances so that they don't exceed 5000W individually.

I'd like only 1 hot wire going into the panel and for the 2 inverters to share any load that's required.

I'm unclear as to

1) how to bring the two hots and 2 neutrals together, and
2) what kind of panel to use that receives only 1 hot wire, or what the wiring in a standard 2-pole-main breaker panel looks like in this case.

I'm attaching 2 screenshots - one is the current split-phase setup, and one is the desired single phase setup.

Thank you so much for your help, I hope my elaboration above makes sense!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 10.20.07 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 10.20.07 AM.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 10.25.08 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 10.25.08 AM.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 8
Here is what I would do to convert a 240v panel to 120v only:

Make sure the panel is not connected to the grid.

Set the inverters to 120v single phase and parallel.

Wire each inverter into a different bus on the panel. One inverter per bus. Put them in through one breaker for each inverter at the opposite end of the panel from the grid input.

Jumper the two grid input connections together using an appropriate size wire. By jumpering here, reduces the chance someone tries to connect 240v into the panel.

Put a BIG label on the panel that it is 120v single phase only.

Or, get a single phase 120v panel. One inverter comes in through the grid line, the other inverter at the opposite end of the panel through one of the regular breakers. European panel might work since they are 240v single phase. Make sure you can get breakers.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for getting back to me, @DIYrich !

That sounds great, I'll try that.

What I've tried before was, running the two hot wires from the two parallel charge inverters in through the 2-pole main breaker, but then the inverters gave me an error saying the phase detection didn't work.

But connecting the two bus bars together, via the Jumper, might solve this issue? Is that why you suggested that or only so that it reduces the chance of someone trying to connect 240v into the panel?

I appreciate your time and insights, thank you!

Back