diy solar

diy solar

Generator to battery bank charging independently of inverter path

Lexicon

I have a Luxpower 12Kw inbound, it can do 120/240 split, or 120/208 (2 out of 3 phase legs). I happen to live in a community with a lot of multifamily buildings, so the distribution transformers are all 3-phase output At my single family, 200A residential service, 2 out of 3 phases are serving my home, with a "neutral". This is all fine for the Luxpower whole house 200A breaker capability. The problem arises when my generator, which is conventional 120/240 split phase, may need to be used to charge the batteries via inverter, and it will NOT be allowed to while the inverter is in 120/208, 2/3 phases mode. What setup can I use to parallel charge my battery bank using generator supply without confusing my inverter?

You can purchase a stand alone battery charger that plugs into the generator and charges the batteries directly. Just like if you were charging a battery in your car.

You can purchase a stand alone battery charger that plugs into the generator and charges the batteries directly. Just like if you were charging a battery in your car.
Right, my concern really was what the inverter will make of this oddly behaving battery. Since there's no connection or monitoring between inverter and generator. The expected battery discharge would be reversed, I was thinking that may cause some logged error in the inverter.

If you are referring to closed loop BMS communications causing a problem because the battery is being charged by a device other than the inverter, I don't believe that would be an issue. Its the BMS in the battery that monitors SoC and transmits the information to the inverter. The logic in the inverter is simply comparing the present SoC of the battery to the set points you've set up as far when the inverter would initiate or terminate a charge cycle. But only if it had an AC source to do so.

I'm not aware of the inverter firmware being sophisticated enough to know or care how the battery is being charged by an outside source or be able to make some kind of determination that the SoC is changing at a rate inconsistent with the internal inverter charger function (or lack there of)

Initially I was thinking despite the generator output not being connected to inverter Gen input, I would use the Gen start dry contacts of the inverter to command startup at a certain state of battery bank discharge, then I realized 53.xx volts would appear on battery terminals, telling the inverter no more supplemental charge was needed, thats what I meant by confusion. I think maybe this will need to be entirely manual.

Last edited:
Back