diy solar

diy solar

X4 lv6548 in 120/240 can I still charge off of 120 volt input?

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
So I'm planning to set up for, LV 6548s in split phase 120/240

But I'm hoping to be able to use my small 3,000 W inverter generator... It puts out about 3,100 Watts using propane... And has a really clean sine wave

I was hoping that I could configure two of the units to shut off from supplying AC power via the inverter while leaving the other two on... Still pulling power from the batteries

The two that shut off would then switch into charger mode probably set to around 15 or 20 amps apiece

Is there a way to configure them to do this or am I just kind of dreaming?

So I'm planning to set up for, LV 6548s in split phase 120/240

LV6548V has reported idle consumption of 130W per unit. Times 4 = 520W

Over 24 hours is 12.48 Kwh. I guess if you have a 25 Kw array it would take a little over half an hour at peak sun with STC to make that up. Just remember, it will take 6 Kwh of battery to run the inverters at idle overnight.

I really like the pair of LV6548's I have but mine are the original model with the low voltage PV.

Better choices are out there.

But I'm hoping to be able to use my small 3,000 W inverter generator... It puts out about 3,100 Watts using propane... And has a really clean sine wave

I was hoping that I could configure two of the units to shut off from supplying AC power via the inverter while leaving the other two on... Still pulling power from the batteries

The two that shut off would then switch into charger mode probably set to around 15 or 20 amps apiece

Is there a way to configure them to do this or am I just kind of dreaming?
As long as you don't have the extra 2 connected to the other 2 and just use them as battery chargers using bypass. But there could be issues using a generator and there are efficiency losses.

A Chargeverter is $479, cheaper than the LV6548's and it was designed to work with a generator. You can charge batteries while running off inverter power.

I would reconsider your choices and the intended usage. Much better choices out there.

LV6548V has reported idle consumption of 130W per unit. Times 4 = 520W

Over 24 hours is 12.48 Kwh. I guess if you have a 25 Kw array it would take a little over half an hour at peak sun with STC to make that up. Just remember, it will take 6 Kwh of battery to run the inverters at idle overnight.

I really like the pair of LV6548's I have but mine are the original model with the low voltage PV.

Better choices are out there.

As long as you don't have the extra 2 connected to the other 2 and just use them as battery chargers using bypass. But there could be issues using a generator and there are efficiency losses.

A Chargeverter is $479, cheaper than the LV6548's and it was designed to work with a generator. You can charge batteries while running off inverter power.

I would reconsider your choices and the intended usage. Much better choices out there.
Yeah I have the original model as well mine is an LV 6548 not an LV 6548 v

Yeah I have the original model as well mine is an LV 6548 not an LV 6548 v
These still take about 75W each from my experience.

If you already have them, use them. But I would keep the extra 2 for spares. Unless you're running a very large load like a 30 hp motor which you still might not get started..........

Before I'd use those extra 2 for charging, I'd add more PV and a Chargeverter.

These still take about 75W each from my experience.

If you already have them, use them. But I would keep the extra 2 for spares. Unless you're running a very large load like a 30 hp motor which you still might not get started..........

Before I'd use those extra 2 for charging, I'd add more PV and a Chargeverter.
Well the plan is the majority of the year I'm going to use two of them... The other two will be sitting there powered down... Then if my load requirements increase in the summer I'll power up the second too so that I'm not stressing the first two

I figure it gives me extra capacity to run as well as redundancy to some degree

It's idle consumption is a hell of a lot better than my previous unit MPP solar LV 6048... They're like 135 watts at idle for a single 6,000 watt unit

Possible maybe.

I'm not trying it though. :)

I know that my Victrons can do that, and my neighbor's MS4024PAE can as well. The L2 phase simply keeps inverting with it's signal ultimately controlled from the master driven by the AC input wave.

I really thought 120V/240V constructed from MPP/Growatt 120V in parallel could charge from a single phase... can't find any threads on it... I'm probably having a senior moment.

I am pretty sure they will fault out because they cannot qualify a split phase input but who knows, it's Voltronics lol
I'm not sure, after all these are just a pair of 120V inverters, each with it's own neutral and simply a comm cable to keep the phasing at 180°.

Whether one could have one inverter set to charge from grid only and the other from solar might be questionable.

I'm not sure, after all these are just a pair of 120V inverters, each with it's own neutral and simply a comm cable to keep the phasing at 180°.

Whether one could have one inverter set to charge from grid only and the other from solar might be questionable.
Nope, unit must be in bypass to charge a battery with grid power. So both would have to be in bypass from my understanding.

Chargeverter is really the best solution.

Are you certain? I swear I've seen folks running MPP/Growatt 120V inverters in 120/240V configurations with only one 120V generator charging.
Not sure about the MPP 6548, but the 6048 can, the problem is pass through - you can't have 240 pass through loads while charging from 120 only.
I have done it, back a couple years when my only Genset available was Honda 120-only model, charged up the batteries overnight and shut down the 240 loads to be sure there was no issue. Then next morning with ESS charged up, shut down the generator and put the system back on battery until the sun returned.
Side note: the MPP6048's run 85W in standby.

Back