diy solar

diy solar

How can I tie a solar inverter in with my Westinghouse igen 3500/4500 120v inverter generator for off-grid system?

JeromeP

I'm considering installing a solar energy system, my funds are limited to $5000. What i'm considering is the EG4 6000XP inverter and adding two EG4 LIFEpo LL 48 volt, 100AH server rack batteries, and later, hoping to install a small solar array. For the time being, I'd like to know if it's possible/safely to connect a 3500 watt 120 volt inverter generator to the EG4 inverter's PV inputs using a 48 volt solar battery charger that will be connected to my portable genarator's 30 amp outlet? The EG4 gen inputs require a 220 volt generator.

I understand the EG4 inverter requires a minimum 8000w to wake up this inverter, with having two 100 amp batteries connected to the inverter will be enough to wake up the inverter? Like I mentioned earlier, this will not be grid tied. I'm still learning the basics of solar energy.

Connect a Chargeverter to the battery bank have the generator power it. I would not connect anything to the PV input other then a PV array. Not sure where you got 8000 watts requirement before the inverter powers up. It would be cheaper to find a 240V generator IMO that way the inverter can start up the generator when it's needed.

Last edited:
I would go the chargeverter route. Max continous on a 3.5kW generator is about 2.5kW, which is close to the max on the CV @120v. That is also close to the max charge rate of the 5kWh battery.

Back