diy solar

diy solar

Wiring a 120volt Generator to 240volt Split Phase Inverters

TonyRumore

I have a pair of Victron Multiplus Inverters running 240 volt split phase to my Cabin's panel. (Offgrid system)
If I were to connect a 120 volt (single hot line) generator to the system, should I just hook the one generator hot line to one of the inverters, or split the wire into two, and run a hot line to each of the inverters? I also have a 240 volt generator, and I assume that would have one hot leg going to one inverter and the other hot leg going to the second inverter. Is that correct?

Tony

P.S. Been a lurker here for a couple of years. Installed my whole system, thanks to you guys and Will's youtube vids.

For the 120V generator just wire it to one inverter. For the 240V generator wire one leg to one inverter and the other leg to the other inverter. This is how I have my 240V generator wired to two Victron Multiplus II inverters.

I'm sure you're thinking of this but you will be limited to to the charging capacity of each inverter wired to the generator. If you have 35 amp chargers you'll have a 35 amp charger if wired to one inverter and a 70 amp charger if wired to both inverters, limited to the output capacity of the generators.

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks, Jim!
They are Victron 24 volt 70amp inverter/chargers.

Tony

Both inverter "AC OUT" neutral wires go to the same bus block in the breaker box panel.
If that is not how it should be wired, please let me know. The inverters are programmed for 180 degree split phase with each hot wire going to each side of the panel.

Tony

^^^That's how my system is set up: inverters 180 degrees split phase with one wired to one side of the panel and the other wired to the other side; the inverters and house panel share a common neutral.

Note: I followed a schematic provided to me by an electrician so I did what they told me to do and it's worked as expected for over a year. I don't have code-level expertise in this area.

My system has actually been running for about a year and a half now, with no issues.

The system was pretty much copied from the below Will Prowse video except scaled up with more panels, more Lifo4 batteries, bigger SCC, 24 volt, and just recently with a second inverter running split phase.

Back