diy solar

diy solar

Split phase wiring

chilly2

Hello,

I've seen numerous inverters e.g. PowMR 5kw, etc that can work in split phase if you wire one for each phase, and in parallel up to 6 inverters for 30kw.

I have two questions.

1. Does each inverter's hot go to a single pole, and then the neutral to the neutral bar, ground to ground, or does each hot go to one side of a double pole? I feel like if one inverter has a problem the breaker should shut them both off.

2. If you're wiring up in parallel e.g. you have 4 inverters, how should you wire up where the inverter outputs join before they reach the breaker panel? e.g. you take the L / hot from the first and third inverter, joining them to the left 120v phase, and doing the same with the L / hot from the second and fourth for the right 120v phase. The N's all go together as do the grounds? Assuming that's right, what do you use to make those joins?

- A junction box with wire nuts / wagos?
- A box with bus bars for L, N and G?
- Something else?

I can't find a good example schematic / what parts to use.

Please advise!

Thanks

Last edited:
1. Does each inverter's hot go to a single pole, and then the neutral to the neutral bar, ground to ground, or does each hot go to one side of a double pole? I feel like if one inverter has a problem the breaker should shut them both off.

2. If you're wiring up in parallel e.g. you have 4 inverters, how should you wire up where the inverter outputs join before they reach the breaker panel? e.g. you take the L / hot from the first and third inverter, joining them to the left 120v phase, and doing the same with the L / hot from the second and fourth for the right 120v phase. The N's all go together as do the grounds? Assuming that's right, what do you use to make those joins?

I wired the L1, L2, neutral and ground from each inverter to four busbars.

Each L1 and L2 busbar attaches to a pole on the 200 amp breaker.

I used these busbars:
https://www.stellavolta.com/midnite-solar-mntbb-busbars/

I'm trying to work out an emergency power system with 240v split phase approach. I will be using 2 - EG4 3K 120 all-in-one inverters tied to a 48v battery rack. I want to run the inverter power directly into the main panel to a 40amp breaker that can only be switched on when the main is off. It would be similar to a setup with a gas powered generator. I want to forgo a separate panel for specific circuits and have the 240v power coming into the main panel feed the whole system and manage the load by keeping everything but 1Kwatts of power draw. I'd use the the 120v AC input into the inverter to drive the battery chargers from the grid while the inverter itself would be "off" in the main panel, isolated. Any insights on any particulars in this set up would be appreciated.

Inverter 1 would go to L1 and Neutral bar
Inverter 2 would go to L2 and Neutral bar

Generator would go into the AC In of either inverter

Back