diy solar

diy solar

critique my split phase and neutral ground bond wiring

cxzcxzcxz12345

Hi,
I purchased two Sungold power inverters and planned to make them split phase.
I'm concerned about my wiring since I'm not an electrician and have only basic electric knowledge.

My inverter is neutral-ground bond in the factory (purple line), I won't bond again in the panel box. However, the manual suggests to ground the inverter (G Pin), I start to worry if that's necessary.
1. You can see I already ground the battery before entering the inverter, if I ground the inverter again, it seems to create a ground loop?
2. If I don't ground the inverter, is my wiring safe at all? (for example, a ground fault on my AC appliance)
3. What happens if lightning strikes on my inverter? Can the electric flow eventually go to the ground on the battery side?
4. Are the two neutral-ground bond safe? I heard people say there must be only 1 neutral-ground bond in your system, but here we got two. I'm worried.
4. Any other noticeable mistakes in the wiring?
Note Nov 28, 2023.jpg

Last edited:
You should remove your bond in each inverter and instead only bond once in the main panel where both inverters are connected. From the main panel you should have an earth ground connected. Either a water pipe or better a copper ground rod drive a minimum of 6’ into the ground.

As far as lighting hitting the panels and feeding into the inverter, you should have all your panels earth grounded which is completely separate from the ground used by your main panel. Again an earth ground rod that all the panels connect to.

For the batteries they’re on the other side of the inverter so they shouldn’t get any power surge fed to them if the grounds work.. however with lighting it’s such a huge source of energy it’s likely no matter how great your grounds are that something is going to fry.

Check your panel... your diagram shows L1 and L2 landing on the same main panel bus

You should remove your bond in each inverter and instead only bond once in the main panel where both inverters are connected. From the main panel you should have an earth ground connected. Either a water pipe or better a copper ground rod drive a minimum of 6’ into the ground.

As far as lighting hitting the panels and feeding into the inverter, you should have all your panels earth grounded which is completely separate from the ground used by your main panel. Again an earth ground rod that all the panels connect to.

For the batteries they’re on the other side of the inverter so they shouldn’t get any power surge fed to them if the grounds work.. however with lighting it’s such a huge source of energy it’s likely no matter how great your grounds are that something is going to fry.
Problem is most of these have a sticker over a screw on the case when you remove it warranty is void, I suppose could get an email from their support approving opening it up to remove the screw. One reason I went with the EG-4 because the bond screw was removed, and firmware disabled the relay used to bypass the screw which really only had a use case for RV's.

Last edited:
Back