diy solar

diy solar

critique my ground-neutral bond plan

If N-G bond is before the inverter and bypass is used, the system will be bonded at the utility power first disconnect.

If the inverter has dynamic bonding and switches N, then N-G bond will be at the inverter.
I understand now EG-4 disabled the dynamic bonding which makes perfect sense for home applications. The only application you would want the inverter to dynamically bond using software and a relay would be inside of an RV. Where when plugged into an RV park their wiring is bonded somewhere in the parks system probably at their main service entrance panel do not want to bond in the RV. When the RV is not connected you would want it bonded somewhere in your own wiring system inside the RV either with a relay, or manually. Does that sound correct?

The EG-4 I just bought I checked it N&G is not bonded which is what I want because I will be connecting it to my homes panel which will pass through the neutral and ground which is bonded at the main service panel.

I understand now EG-4 disabled the dynamic bonding which makes perfect sense for home applications. The only application you would want the inverter to dynamically bond using software and a relay would be inside of an RV. Where when plugged into an RV park their wiring is bonded somewhere in the parks system probably at their main service entrance panel do not want to bond in the RV. When the RV is not connected you would want it bonded somewhere in your own wiring system inside the RV either with a relay, or manually. Does that sound correct?

The latest firmware for the EG4 should allow for bonding at the inverter under inverter power for a RV. It will open N-G bond when on shore power.

The EG-4 I just bought I checked it N&G is not bonded which is what I want because I will be connecting it to my homes panel which will pass through the neutral and ground which is bonded at the main service panel.
There have been some changes and there was a post from Jarret at EG4 regarding bonding screws and bonding at the inverter. I think as time went on they did some testing to fix the flickering light problems and came to the conclusion to add the bonding screw back in, then make it an setting where bonding can be changed by the user.

The latest firmware for the EG4 should allow for bonding at the inverter under inverter power for a RV. It will open N-G bond when on shore power.

There have been some changes and there was a post from Jarret at EG4 regarding bonding screws and bonding at the inverter. I think as time went on they did some testing to fix the flickering light problems and came to the conclusion to add the bonding screw back in, then make it an setting where bonding can be changed by the user.
I was going by this video 10 months ago from EG4 says the bonding screw was removed on all inverters and firmware was updated to pass through the N&G bond from your service panel. The post you're referring to says the 6000ex they would no longer receive firmware updates they could re-install the bonding screw and use that firmware version to control the relay I'm assuming with a setting to solve flickering LED lights due to voltage fluctuation. I was wondering how clean the sine wave was out of these inverters. I noticed the warranty sticker covers one screw to get the cover off probably void the warranty trying to put a screw back in.

Does that post you are referring to only for the 6000ex I notice that model no longer sold on Signature solar now it's the 6000xp. I'm assuming they discontinued that older model because they no longer supporting the firmware.

I was going by this video 10 months ago from EG4 says the bonding screw was removed on all inverters and firmware was updated to pass through the N&G bond from your service panel.

I'm well aware of that video, we had discussion about it for almost 2 months where Signature Solar/EG4 said it was coming in a few days but it took close to 2 months before they released it. It is dated and no longer applies. It should disappear because it adds to the confusion.

The post you're referring to says the 6000ex they would no longer receive firmware updates they could re-install the bonding screw and use that firmware version to control the relay I'm assuming with a setting to solve flickering LED lights due to voltage fluctuation.

This applies to the 6500EX also. The removal of the bonding screw made problems worse when I tried to correct the flickering lights in my system with the 6500EX inverters. I had a pair of LV6548's with on bonding screw in place (if you search for LV6548 and objectionable current you can read up on why one screw) and installing those in place of the 6500EX's the flicker problem resolved. I was quite critical of SS/EG4 in one of my videos. I think after my experience they went back and looked at what might be the cause of the light flicker and decided to put the bonding screw back in with a firmware update where bonding could easily be turned on/off.

I was wondering how clean the sine wave was out of these inverters.

I have other videos showing sine distortion with full PV power coming in.

I noticed the warranty sticker covers one screw to get the cover off probably void the warranty trying to put a screw back in.

Removal will not affect warranty.

Does that post you are referring to only for the 6000ex I notice that model no longer sold on Signature solar now it's the 6000xp. I'm assuming they discontinued that older model because they no longer supporting the firmware.
SS/EG4 quit their relationship with Voltronic due to problems with the inverters they sold and SS/EG4 went to Luxpower manufactured units like the 18Kpv and 6000xp. The Luxpower units are better unit than the Voltronic units they sold.

Not all Voltronic units have those problems. It seems either the change in specs (higher PV voltage is one) and some hardware substitution created the problems seen by SS/EG4. The MPP LV6548 was the proven model and the SS/EG4 units were based on the LV6548 with some changes, yet the LV6548 doesn't suffer from the same problems. I run a pair and they have worked flawless.

I'm well aware of that video, we had discussion about it for almost 2 months where Signature Solar/EG4 said it was coming in a few days but it took close to 2 months before they released it. It is dated and no longer applies. It should disappear because it adds to the confusion.

This applies to the 6500EX also. The removal of the bonding screw made problems worse when I tried to correct the flickering lights in my system with the 6500EX inverters. I had a pair of LV6548's with on bonding screw in place (if you search for LV6548 and objectionable current you can read up on why one screw) and installing those in place of the 6500EX's the flicker problem resolved. I was quite critical of SS/EG4 in one of my videos. I think after my experience they went back and looked at what might be the cause of the light flicker and decided to put the bonding screw back in with a firmware update where bonding could easily be turned on/off.

I have other videos showing sine distortion with full PV power coming in.

Removal will not affect warranty.

SS/EG4 quit their relationship with Voltronic due to problems with the inverters they sold and SS/EG4 went to Luxpower manufactured units like the 18Kpv and 6000xp. The Luxpower units are better unit than the Voltronic units they sold.

Not all Voltronic units have those problems. It seems either the change in specs (higher PV voltage is one) and some hardware substitution created the problems seen by SS/EG4. The MPP LV6548 was the proven model and the SS/EG4 units were based on the LV6548 with some changes, yet the LV6548 doesn't suffer from the same problems. I run a pair and they have worked flawless.

I'll have to take a look at those videos I wanted to use the EG-4 3000 to power my servers, network, and other PC's as a battery backup unit. Signwave distortion not good although I know can get that if you get too close to it's max power output.

According to threads like this one Signature Solar actually did tell a customer they voided the warranty after opening the case up. I understand it was likely resolved by posting a thread here which should not have to happen to get a warranty issue resolved. I hope not to have any issues with it. Oddly after all this discussion about bonding I went back opened up some subpanels I installed over the years sure enough I bonded a sub-panel where my pool equipment is. When I turned on the 110V pool light I measured 1/2 an amp going back over the ground wire to the main panel. This will be an easy fix just need a grounding bar installed since I pulled 4 wires to that panel.

Do you know if the EG-4 3000 V2 is built by Voltronic, or Luxpower. If it works out, I like to get a 2nd one and run split phase for my pool pump it pulls about 8.35 amps at 240V.

EG4 3000 is Voltronic.

I was never near the peak output for the dirty sine when I scoped the units.

Back