diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500ex and 6000ex flickering lights and firmware

EG4_Jarrett

Solar Enthusiast
Concerning the 6500ex and 6000ex firmware updates. I want to inform our customers that our 6500ex and 6000ex inverter models may not be able to receive firmware updates in the future. However, we want to assure you that our commitment to providing excellent customer support remains unwavering. We will continue to offer dedicated assistance and service to ensure that your inverter operates at its best, and we will explore alternative solutions to address any emerging needs and concerns.

I've seen some posts about flickering lights, and I want to make sure that I address that as well.

One of the ways that we can resolve the issue with flickering lights, is to make sure that the neutral/ground bonding screw is in place. We released a firmware not too long ago that will allow you to change whether the inverter's AC relay is active or inactive. This will allow us to either use the bond in the inverter, or we can make use of the AC in neutral instead. In fact, if you want to bond in your output panel, input panel, or your inverter, then the firmware can help with that. This is version 79.71. (edit: forgot to add firmware version)

Also, LED lights tend to be the biggest perpetrator of flickering lights. Depending on the lights you purchase, it has some bearing on whether or not the light will flicker and how intense the flicker is. Cheaper off brand LED lights use cheap relays that are effected by the smallest amount of voltage fluctuation. There is a great video that was filmed over at Signature Solar, and they go over some of causes of flickering lights.

Moving forward, I would like to let you all know that I am here for you as a community. You will see me around here a lot more often, as one of my roles as Online Support Manager is to provide support when and where it is needed for the DIY community. Please feel free to reach out to me!

Last edited:
Since there won’t be any more firmware updates, are you guys going to discontinue selling the 6500ex and the 6000ex models in favor of your new 6000xp?
I can't speak as to whether they are being discontinued or not because I'm not a THAT high up on the totem pole, but I personally have not heard anything of that nature.

My main focus here on this forum is on offering support for people that would rather check out the forums for answers, and provide solutions for those that need them.

I have the 6000ex on the latest firmware and am experiencing the flickering lights, dimmers continuously turning on and off, UPS switching on and off, etc.
My dimmers are doing the same thing seen here. Do I need to replace all 10 dimmers to make it stop?

This thread has a lot to say about the dirty power that these inverters output. What was the resolution to these issues? @Gavin Stone

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/problems-with-eg4-6500ex-buyer-beware.54597/

This is disappointing. I know there are no guarantees with these things but to have it said at this stage that there are no firmware updates upcoming this soon into the lifecycle when all devices are still warrantied.

Any chance we can get some sort of warranty waiver discount on the 6000XP since LuxPower seems to be the future of EG4 branded inverters. I don't need the hybrid stuff so a pair of 6000XPs make more sense.

I have the 6000ex on the latest firmware and am experiencing the flickering lights, dimmers continuously turning on and off, UPS switching on and off, etc.
My dimmers are doing the same thing seen here. Do I need to replace all 10 dimmers to make it stop?

This thread has a lot to say about the dirty power that these inverters output. What was the resolution to these issues? @Gavin Stone

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/problems-with-eg4-6500ex-buyer-beware.54597/

After this they sent me a pair of inverters that didn’t have any flickering issues. I’m not aware of what was changed to accomplish that. I know James had mentioned some hardware changes that caused problems last year. So I assume they solved that issue. As well as the firmware update helping of course.

I’m curious now if adding the bonding screw back might help some of the problems people are still having.

I’m curious now if adding the bonding screw back might help some of the problems people are still having.
I don’t know how it would. It just allows the g/n bond to be created inside the inverter again if option 42 is disabled.

Since there won’t be any more firmware updates, are you guys going to discontinue selling the 6500ex and the 6000ex models in favor of your new 6000xp?
For only $19,998 a year, you too can sign up for the inverter of the month club. That's a savings of over $400! Receive a new inverter each month as we change models! Never be out of date again! Never worry about firmware! Just pop on a new inverter on the wall each month and hop on the ol' product cycle train!

I’m not sure how it would either. But I saw Markus mention this in another thread as well. So I assume they are testing it.
This bonding screw actually grounds the MPPT board in one area. It looks to get rid of noise at the same time. By adding this screw back to in the inverter we have seen F80s clear. The voltage stay stable when high PV voltage is being used, other nuisance problems that randomly accrued

After this they sent me a pair of inverters that didn’t have any flickering issues. I’m not aware of what was changed to accomplish that. I know James had mentioned some hardware changes that caused problems last year. So I assume they solved that issue. As well as the firmware update helping of course.

When I replaced the 6500EX's with LV6548's, I left in one bonding screw.

No light flicker with the LV6548's.

Each firmware update with the 6500EX's made things worse. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/n...t-without-the-bonding-screw.53547/post-781863

This bonding screw actually grounds the MPPT board in one area. It looks to get rid of noise at the same time. By adding this screw back to in the inverter we have seen F80s clear. The voltage stay stable when high PV voltage is being used, other nuisance problems that randomly accrued
Ahhh we figured it out. The same try to fix one issue creates another issue problem.

Poor Gavin, that long sigh and silence when he wanted to say the inverters were junk was funny.

Cheaper off brand LED lights use cheap relays that are effected by the smallest amount of voltage fluctuation.
I assume you mean capacitors !!!!
I have cheap builders LED's here that have no capacitor at all and they are prone to flickering, but different ones with a relatively big capacitor still flicker too. Also the type of dimmer affects this too, again experimenting with a few different types, one big brand one was worse than the cheapest Amazon variety.

My dimmers constantly turn on and off all through the night without any PV voltage / current. I noticed that the video on the first post above only addressed the 6500 high frequency inverter. Did you do extensive testing with the 6000 as well?

My lights flicker with my LF inverters and my HF inverters.. Many makes and models.. Seems to me that it's more tied to the loads connected to the inverter than anything else. For instance my lights don't flicker at all when my freeze dryer is shut off - the moment it's turned on - the flickering is unbearable.

My dimmers constantly turn on and off all through the night without any PV voltage / current. I noticed that the video on the first post above only addressed the 6500 high frequency inverter. Did you do extensive testing with the 6000 as well?
The EG4 6500ex and 6000ex both make use of a similar mppt grounding configuration. So the screw will help with both inverters.

If the inverter already has the screw present, firmware has been updated to 79.71, and there isn't multiple bonds in the same installation, then at that point, I'd some different light bulbs. I've had a lot of success with these. They are flicker free Phillips light bulbs.

If all of that checks out, and you're still getting flickering lights, then it's going to be a hardware issue and the inverter may need to be replaced.

Back