diy solar

diy solar

How to test ground-neutral bond in inverter

webbbn

Solar Enthusiast
I have a 230/240V inverter that I want to try to connect to a 240-only load, but I want to connect an autotransformer to create a "proper" split-phase ground connection. I think I saw this recommended by @timselectric in another thread. This is also connected into the grid, but in "off-grid" mode, so it bypasses most of the time with split-phase grounding.

When doing grid-passthrough, of course, there is around 120V from gnd to both L1 and L2 (N and L) on the output. If I switch to battery/inverter power, I see 70ish volts on one leg to ground, and 40ish volts on the other. That suggests that neutral (N) is not being connected to the ground internally, which, of course, is what I want, but the presence of voltages makes me a bit nervous. It's probably just some low-power induced voltages, but I am wondering if there is a better test.

Since it's only switched when the inverter is on, I don't see how to do a continuity test. Is there some way of testing this that I'm missing? I have a 24V outlet tester on order that I think would give me the answer, and I can't see how the voltages could be the way they are if there was a G-N bond, but want to be as sure as possible.

Back