diy solar

diy solar

Back-up Generator for 6000xp

ZPowers

I’m setting up an off-grid system with a single 6000xp inverter and lifepower4 back-up batteries and am looking for a back-up generator. I know the manual says that a generator thats 1.5x the inverter size is recommended. As long as the THD is below the 3% then is it necessary to have a 10kW+ generator? I found this WEN generator that is well below the recommended THD:
04A5BFAA-C175-4D19-9F7F-DE8CA3662138.png

The 1.5X generator recommendation is based on the idea that a generator should be able to support your loads, possibly up to the 6,000W inverter limit, and still have some headroom to charge batteries without having to run the generator at 100% continuously.

It really depends on your individual situation. If your loads are minimal or you are willing to practice some manual load control when running the generator, 8750W is certainly a good amount of power.

I would recommend not running the generator over 6500W continuously. If this will satisfy the loads and charge batteries in a reasonable amount of time that product will work for you.

The 1.5X generator recommendation is based on the idea that generator should be able to support your loads, possibly up to the 6,000W inverter limit, and still have some headroom to charge batteries without having to run the generator at 100% continuously.

It really depends on your individual situation. If your loads are minimal or you are willing to practice some manual load control when running the generator, 8750W is certainly a good amount of power.

I would recommend not running the generator over 6500W continuously. If this will satisfy the loads and charge batteries in a reasonable amount of time that product will work for you.
Looks like it's constant rating is 7000W with 8750W being the surge rating.

The 1.5X generator recommendation is based on the idea that generator should be able to support your loads, possibly up to the 6,000W inverter limit, and still have some headroom to charge batteries without having to run the generator at 100% continuously.

Great! Thanks! Yeah I plan on just using it at night or cloudy days to recharge my batteries and I could use very minimal loads when i need to charge.

When the generator is running the inverter uses generator power to charge the batteries AND passes through generator power to meet AC needs (the inverter stops inverting battery to AC during this time).

If your AC loads are often at peak inverter capacity then that won't leave much for battery charging.

My AC loads are usually pretty low so I had a 7500 watt generator supporting a 7000 watt inverter and there's plenty of capacity to do both.

Since then I've abandoned the inverter's battery charging function and connect the generator straight to the batteries using a separate 100 amp battery charger. This allows the use of cheaper generators that don't provide clean power because the generator is never connected to house loads, only the battery charger.

In short, if your AC loads are typically low or you can run the gen when they're low you don't need 1.5x inverter capacity at your generator.

even with XW Pro they also want a large generator, but I have now moved to the ChargeVerter model of feeding the generator output to the ChargeVerter to charge the battery AND Run loads, all the while the inverter powers the house loads.

this allows a smaller requirement generator, as I can throttle the charge up and down. One also run more than one Chargeverter to the same battery, either with a large generator or 2 small ones

that WEN looks really good

then there is this inverter generator (5000w) is now on sale, not much less than the above WEN

this one has CLEAN power

I’m looking at the Pulsar 7250 inverter generator at Lowes for $900. Dual fuel and Same engine/build as maxpeedingrods, genmax, a-I power.
The chargeverter seems great but if your chargeverter or battery or inverter is down, can’t power your loads. At least with a good inverter/generator you can power loads directly with clean power.

I’m looking at the Pulsar 7250 inverter generator at Lowes for $900. Dual fuel and Same engine/build as maxpeedingrods, genmax, a-I power.
The chargeverter seems great but if your chargeverter or battery or inverter is down, can’t power your loads. At least with a good inverter/generator you can power loads directly with clean power.
Good point on ensuring that you're covered with back-up solutions needed for a given situation and needs and that the inverter/generator will provide clean power. Likewise, if the inverter/generator fails a backup will be needed to solve for that problem. Back in the olden days I'd have backup PCBs for the Outback inverter and used them after a lightning strike. Now I have duplicate inverters and an extra generator or two. My backup battery charger is in the inverter and that would require some minor rewiring to get up and running.

No matter how you slice it, it's good to think it through before there's a failure.

I'm so glad I wanted to test out the inverter with a generator. It did not work. After a call to signature solar I was informed I need a 240v generator or a chargeverter.

I ordered a chargeverter but wonder if it would make more sense to cancel the order, sell the brand new 3500w predator generator and get a dual fuel 240v generator.

My loads are low so I do not need a big generator.

I also would like to make use of the inverter to start and stop the generator.

Has anyone done a setup like that with a dual furl 240v generator with clean power?

I ended up buying a Champion 6250 240v open frame inverter generator over the holidays for a great deal. It was only gas but added the motor snorkel kit easily for natural gas or propane. Works great with 6000xp. Have the propane tuned for 4000w generator power. More than enough to power my critical loads (including Grundfos SQ well pump) and charge my batteries. The 6000xp can also pull from battery in parallel when the generator is running in the event a larger load comes on. Couple videos on YouTube about this capability.

Chose the inverter generator route over the chargeverter in the event I have an inverter or battery issue. Can wire generator right into my panel in that emergency situation.

No auto start /stop capability though which doesn’t worry me.

Last edited:
I would, and did, go chargeverter, or really any fixed rating 48v charger and put that between generator and battery. That way you have a constant load on generator and will feed batteries with any excess and any spikes in load won't impact you.

I’ve ran this inverter on a 5500 watt gen. I just turned down the battery charge amps for gen.

The 6000XP also has GEN boost which allows the inverter to help with loads in the event that the generator does not supply the full 6000W.

35 amp input for the GEN input.

using a L14-30r inlet plug with #10 wire, one would need at least an inverter generator at 7200 watts (25 amps) continuous

$1800 for this DuroMax

to use the full 35 amps, then a SS2-50 (50 amp) inlet plug with #6 wire would be needed

inverter generator with at least 8400 watts continuous would be needed

like this one for $2300

Last edited:

I have 2 Chargeverters for exactly the issue of a failure on 1 of them
my generator can handle 2 charging at the same time

I also will have a 30 amp L14-30r inlet plug that can feed my critical loads panels, drawing from my L14-50r generator circuit if needed if inverter goes down

small panel on the center of the raceway is the generator panel.
it feeds 2 L14-30r receptacles to the left of the panel, 2 120v outlets and the inverter's GEN input port if needed
my 2nd chargeverter is loaned to my son while he waiting for V2 to ship

house-solar-generator-jpg.203898

Last edited:
Back