diy solar

diy solar

Cheap Emergency Dual-fuel Generator for EG4 6000XP Recommendation?

babgvant

Recently had a 2x 6000XP + 2x PowerPro installed to provide emergency UPS backup. The batteries should give us ~2 days of backup, but just in case the grid is down longer than that I'd like to get a small 5-8kW dual-fuel generator that I can drag outside and charge the batteries.

It shouldn't get much use, so efficiency isn't super important. Really just looking for something cheap-ish that will provide a bail-out in the rare longer than 2-day outages.

Current front-runner is the WEN DF1100X. It seems to check all the boxes: cheap-ish, good THD, power output, etc.

Would that work?

Other makes/models I should look at?

Any other considerations that I need to take into account? Seems like I should be able to plug it in to the GEN port on the outside, start it up, and as long as the 6000XP are configured correctly they will start charging the batteries.

Thanks

Keep in mind that most AIO inverters are fussy about the power the receive. They may have updated the software to accommodate this but it’s still not a good idea to feed it a bad sine wave. Same for the pass-through. All your electronics are getting poor quality electricity. I highly advise you consider an inverter type generator. First scope capture is non inverter and second is a Predator 9500(single fuel) which is typical for all inverter types. I posted several generators that I would put high on my short list. Remember that the number on the side of the generator is the peak, not continuous running watts. Regardless of dual fuel units, I’d break it in with at least a tank full of gasoline before switching to LPG. Then empty the gasoline and run the carb dry if the intent is to run on LPG there on. Also after the first 15 minutes change the oil, then follow the manufacturer’s directions. Highly recommend Pennzoil platinum high mileage oil after break in. IMG_0358.jpegIMG_0368.jpegIMG_1344.jpegIMG_1345.jpegIMG_1347.png

As mentioned above, you will want to investigate whether your AIO cares about low-THD gen output, and might reject the power from your chosen generator. In the old days, it was open-frame, possibly high-THD. Have to carefully read the AIO docs, or ask their support department (if they have one).

Another issue is the original form of inverter-gens, a more compact closed-frame (cube) design, hard to work on, expensive, etc. For the longest time, that's all there was. Additionally, parts replacement tended to get very expensive, as the "inverter board" is heavily potted, and higher cost.

Now, there are starting to be choices for open-frame inverter-gens, meaning a more inexpensive open-frame design, coupled with the stator/roter generation part that produces less than 5% THD, and in most cases, does it without an expensive "inverter board". There might still be other reasons you would want to go with a true cube-like closed-frame inverter-gen, but at least now you have some options in alternatives.

Hope this helps ...

Keep in mind that most AIO inverters are fussy about the power the receive. They may have updated the software to accommodate this but it’s still not a good idea to feed it a bad sine wave. Same for the pass-through. All your electronics are getting poor quality electricity. I highly advise you consider an inverter type generator. First scope capture is non inverter and second is a Predator 9500(single fuel) which is typical for all inverter types. I posted several generators that I would put high on my short list. Remember that the number on the side of the generator is the peak, not continuous running watts. Regardless of dual fuel units, I’d break it in with at least a tank full of gasoline before switching to LPG. Then empty the gasoline and run the carb dry if the intent is to run on LPG there on. Also after the first 15 minutes change the oil, then follow the manufacturer’s directions. Highly recommend Pennzoil platinum high mileage oil after break in.
Thanks.

Is there some sort of filter device that can clean up a Gens dirty sinewave?

Champion dual fuel. I’ve had mine for years. Built the cabin with it. No issues. Electric start is nice. Good rep.

I’ve taped the gasoline cap shut. Will never gas it up if I can help it.

E.g.:

Thou I like the inverter generator, there is great merit to using a chargerverter. With a chargeverter you don’t have to worry about limiting your pass through current or energy management beyond normal inverter functions. If you use a generator directly to the inverter, you have to be sure you stay within the generator’s rating for charge current PLUS any usages/loads.

Thou I like the inverter generator, there is great merit to using a chargerverter. With a chargeverter you don’t have to worry about limiting your pass through current or energy management beyond normal inverter functions. If you use a generator directly to the inverter, you have to be sure you stay within the generator’s rating for charge current PLUS any usages/loads.

That's one of the neat things about the 6000XP. You tell it what you have on offer from the generator, it does the diff off the batteries if the loads exceed that number.

Chargerverter looks like a solid product, but it's hard to justify in the scenario I want to provide coverage for.

most AIO inverters are fussy about the power the receive
My MPP 1012LV never bats an eye with the champion which is why I suggested Champion. Beyond that, I got great answers when I called them, and I spent < $600 for a new one with a three year service agreement.
The predator is way more money by double, phone call to HF left me nonplussed, and it was $250 or something for a (two year?) service agreement, and HF store said I couldn’t return it after I gassed it up, I’d have to ‘get it serviced.’

I bought the champion. I do not regret it.
And I spent $600 less, delivered to my door.

Back