diy solar

diy solar

Help with EG4 6000XP for home power backup

Dave (Boog)

Let start off by saying that I’ve been reading the posts on this forum for 3 years. And I’ve searched for but couldn’t find an answer to my question.
I have a specific requirement to be able to have a backup source of 120v A/C for some of our home appliances.

I recently purchased an (1) EG4 6000XP and I have 30kwh of LIFEPO4 batteries.
I am trying to understand how I can use what I have to provide power to the chosen appliances/devices only when Grid power is lost.

I do not currently have solar but will add that at some later date. So as not to confuse things, just say I do not have solar to charge the batteries.

My question is. With the equipment I have, can I:
1. Generate backup power with the inverter and batteries when the grid goes down?
2. When grid power returns, use the grid to recharge the batteries.
3. Have this happen automatically without human intervention.
What other equipment would I need to have? An automatic transfer switch?

I want to make sure that if grid power is lost, there’s no danger of the inverter back feeding the grid.

If there is a resource already available on the forum that I’ve missed. Can someone please provide a link?

Thanks in advance.

My question is. With the equipment I have, can I:
1. Generate backup power with the inverter and batteries when the grid goes down?
2. When grid power returns, use the grid to recharge the batteries.
3. Have this happen automatically without human intervention.
What other equipment would I need to have? An automatic transfer switch?
1. Inverter can provide power from battery.
2. Grid can charge batteries.
3. Yes
Other equipment: I don't think you need since the 6000xp can't export to grid. Others may know for sure.

Starting with requirement #3 no human intervention, points towards installing a Critical Loads Subpanel and moving only the breakers for the important circuits that need to be backed up into the new panel. Reason being one inverter is not large enough to supply the entire average house main panel without manually turning off several large load breakers or installing a load control center or replacing the main panel with a split bus type or smart panel with remote trip breakers.

Installing a critical loads subpanel and using the Inverter to power the subpanel is the customary way to achieve all 3 of the stated goals. The 6000xp is an Off-Grid inverter and cannot back-feed or sell to the grid.

Starting with requirement #3 no human intervention, points towards installing a Critical Loads Subpanel and moving only the breakers for the important circuits that need to be backed up into the new panel. Reason being one inverter is not large enough to supply the entire average house main panel without manually turning off several large load breakers or installing a load control center or replacing the main panel with a split bus type or smart panel with remote trip breakers.

Installing a critical loads subpanel and using the Inverter to power the subpanel is the customary way to achieve all 3 of the stated goals. The 6000xp is an Off-Grid inverter and cannot back-feed or sell to the grid.
Thanks for the response. A couple of questions.
So let’s say I were to move the kitchen circuits that power our refrigerator and freezer to the critical loads panel. I would connect power from the main breaker panel to the inverter AC input and AC output to the critical loads panel. Then as long as there is grid power would the inverter pass the AC to the critical loads to continue to power the kitchen circuits? And once the grid goes offline, would the inverter automatically provide power to that critical loads panel? And when the came back it would again pass the AC to power the critical loads?

Yes, your description is accurate. The inverter has a timer that can be set for AC Input priority. In this case it would be set for 24hrs. Later, if you add solar panels the times can be adjusted so when solar is available it is used as a priority instead of grid.

EDIT: Since you have already purchased the Inverter it would be a good idea to read through the manual in detail.

Yes, your description is accurate. The inverter has a timer that can be set for AC Input priority. In this case it would be set for 24hrs. Later, if you add solar panels the times can be adjusted so when solar is available it is used as a priority instead of grid.

EDIT: Since you have already purchased the Inverter it would be a good idea to read through the manual in detail.
Thanks. For the critical loads panel other than breakers for the circuits, would you have a main breaker where the inverter feeds the panel?
And I’ve spent the past two days reading through the manual.

The 6000xp is rated for 50A @ 240V AC bypass according to the datasheet. A 2 pole, 50A breaker would be installed in the main panel to feed the inverter AC Input. This breaker is then the primary Over Current Protection Device for everything downstream which should be sized accordingly.

So lets say the critical loads subpanel is a standard off the shelf item with a 100A rating. These can be purchased with main lugs only, no main breaker. The inverter output could be landed directly on the bus bar lugs with no need for a main breaker since the whole circuit is protected upstream at the main panel. If you really want a breaker in the critical loads subpanel you could install a 2 pole, 50A branch breaker and back-feed from the inverter. Of course then you are sacrificing 2 spaces that now cannot be used for load branch breakers.

Great. I think that answers all my questions. I just ordered a sub panel on Amazon. Should be here soon. I’ll only need to have like 3 circuits for my critical loads. So lots of room left over. Thanks for your help.

Back