diy solar

diy solar

Off grid/no internet EG4 6000xp/powerpro system commissioning and firmware

BobTX2

I am installing my two 6000xp's and 4 powerpro batteries right now. Everything is mounted in the air conditioned & dust-free shed I have built for them, and all the wiring is ready for starting things up.

All this is being done off grid, and out of cell service range - there is no possibility of internet access for the system. I have downloaded and think I understand updating the battery firmware just fine under those conditions with a wired connection.

However, I do not see any firmware available for the 6000xp's to download on EG4's site, but I have seen online discussions of firmware updates for them. The manual also mentions firmware updates, but through the app when internet connected. Is there something I am missing or that I obviously need to be doing to commission my system?

Or, more simply, will I actually need any updates for my simple two-6000xp/four-powerpro battery system to function well (no generator, no grid connection, just a simple arrangement of two parallel 6000xp's running the 4 batteries with a small PV array feeding in and output to a service panel)?

The batteries were purchased from Current Connected and were shipped 2 weeks ago, in case that is helpful for guessing how current the firmware they shipped with might be.

Edited to Add: EG4 representative provided a solution/directions on how to do this here. Will try it out soon and report back!

Last edited:
That’s a tough one, haul the inverters back to civilization to ipdate their firmware before commissioning? Get Starlink?

There should be no need for firmware updates out of the box.
I'd commission the system and go from there.
This is how life should be.
Sadly with today's technology, it usually isn't.
Almost everything wants to be updated, on the first power up.

This is how life should be.
Sadly with today's technology, it usually isn't.
Almost everything wants to be updated, on the first power up.
Exactly. In a world where my coffee cup needs a firmware update there’s just no escaping it. How are you going to stay connected to these forums without internet? 😁 Once it’s working to your satisfaction there’s probably no reason to update it except for additional features or bug fixes (leap year anomalies? DST bugs?) and you can always do what I do with my “TooSmartForTheirOwnGood” TV sets and block the Internet from particular devices.

Ask if a VanLifer with starlink wants to come and visit for a couple of days? You could borrow their internet and they might like a remote place to park their van for a couple of days.

As far as my solar system goes. I've done zero firmware updates. Take it out of the box, hang it on the wall, and turn it on. And that's how it will stay.
Same here, I have updated Solar Assistant and my Victron mppt (which changed the font 😡), the AIO and BMSs haven't been touched and likely never will be.
If it ain't broke...

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Maybe I'll find a friend with starlink one day and do a one time update on the 6000xp's? Hopefully everything works on commissioning with just the batteries updated... I'll post on here how it turns out after I try in the next week or two.

I am installing my two 6000xp's and 4 powerpro batteries right now. Everything is mounted in the air conditioned & dust-free shed I have built for them, and all the wiring is ready for starting things up.

All this is being done off grid, and out of cell service range - there is no possibility of internet access for the system. I have downloaded and think I understand updating the battery firmware just fine under those conditions with a wired connection.

However, I do not see any firmware available for the 6000xp's to download on EG4's site, but I have seen online discussions of firmware updates for them. The manual also mentions firmware updates, but through the app when internet connected. Is there something I am missing or that I obviously need to be doing to commission my system?

Or, more simply, will I actually need any updates for my simple two-6000xp/four-powerpro battery system to function well (no generator, no grid connection, just a simple arrangement of two parallel 6000xp's running the 4 batteries with a small PV array feeding in and output to a service panel)?

The batteries were purchased from Current Connected and were shipped 2 weeks ago, in case that is helpful for guessing how current the firmware they shipped with might be.

To update the firmware, it is advisable to download the latest version for the 6000XP through the EG4 APP and then use a local connection to upload it. This method removes the necessity for the monitoring system to be connected during the update process.

Here is a guide for how to do this. However, in the guide it goes over an 18kPV:

To update the firmware, it is advisable to download the latest version for the 6000XP through the EG4 APP and then use a local connection to upload it. This method removes the necessity for the monitoring system to be connected during the update process.

Here is a guide for how to do this. However, in the guide it goes over an 18kPV:
Thank you! I think I wasn't finding this due to it referencing the 18kPV. I'll probably head out there and attempt this tomorrow.

I also noticed when I looked for them to use them today that I wasn't given the cables to update the battery firmware with my purchase (the “CAN and RS485" cables). I'm not sure if I was supposed to order these separately, or if they were supposed to come with the order (two 6000xp's and four powerpro wall mount batteries plus some paralleling kits). I emailed Current Connected this afternoon but haven't heard back yet (It's only been half a day).

Do you know if that was supposed to come with everything?

Also, for anyone still reading this, I made something like a 4'x8' air-conditioned micro-home build on a harbor freight trailer to house the 4 powerpro batteries and two 6000xp's, plus a load center, EV charger (on the outside), and hookups to connect to our array, cabin and whatever else we want to out there at our mostly undeveloped off grid place.

The only thing missing from it being a standalone power trailer would be solar panels on the roof of the thing. I thought about mounting 3 large 485 watt panels that I have on there just because it would be cool, but opted to add them to the main array that it'll be connected to anyway. Maybe I'll post some photos and a description of the whole build. It's nothing too shocking - just a tiny room built on a trailer to house the equipment, but I had a lot of fun making it over the last month.

The 6000 XP firmware was pretty good out of the gate so it will probably be okay and the same with the power pro batteries.

Just a heads up, if you let us know you are out in the middle of nowhere with no connection capability like you are, we can power on the units before shipping and do any updates before shipping - you just need to call into our sales team and coordinate it with them in advance.

I believe my team is, or is working on, getting an email reply to you as well to this question!

Thanks!
Dexter

Last edited:
Back