diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18Kpv and WallMount battery firmware updates?

wpns

Solar Joules are catch and release
I've got (2) EG4 18Kpv inverters and (6) Wallmount batteries on order, so while I await delivery, I'm reading the manuals and watching videos, and it struck me that firmware updates look to be way harder than they should be.

It _looks_ like I can do the inverter firmware updates if I'm connected to the Internet, so future updates should be easy. But I see specific warnings about updating both inverters to the latest revision _before_ connecting them in parallel, though it's not clear how complex that is.

Also, you'd think (hope?) that the battery firmware updates could be done from the Internet when Inverter <--> Battery communications is established, but there seems to be a complex dance of isolating the batteries, setting address 64, doing the firmware update from a Windows laptop, then setting the address back. For all six batteries. [I don't have a Windows laptop, and there don't seem to be any Mac or Linux firmware update options, so I'll have to drag a Windows desktop down to the outbuilding where the solar stuff is...]

Not impossible, but a lot more work than I'd like it to be, am I missing an easier solution?

How often do firmware updates for the above come out, and how often will I have to take everything down to perform the Update Dance?

Not complaining, BTW, excited to get what looks like good equipment installed and get away from the local grid, but someone here must have some experience with the above, yes?

Many Thanks in advance!

I've got (2) EG4 18Kpv inverters and (6) Wallmount batteries on order, so while I await delivery, I'm reading the manuals and watching videos, and it struck me that firmware updates look to be way harder than they should be.

It _looks_ like I can do the inverter firmware updates if I'm connected to the Internet, so future updates should be easy. But I see specific warnings about updating both inverters to the latest revision _before_ connecting them in parallel, though it's not clear how complex that is.

Also, you'd think (hope?) that the battery firmware updates could be done from the Internet when Inverter <--> Battery communications is established, but there seems to be a complex dance of isolating the batteries, setting address 64, doing the firmware update from a Windows laptop, then setting the address back. For all six batteries. [I don't have a Windows laptop, and there don't seem to be any Mac or Linux firmware update options, so I'll have to drag a Windows desktop down to the outbuilding where the solar stuff is...]

Not impossible, but a lot more work than I'd like it to be, am I missing an easier solution?

How often do firmware updates for the above come out, and how often will I have to take everything down to perform the Update Dance?

Not complaining, BTW, excited to get what looks like good equipment installed and get away from the local grid, but someone here must have some experience with the above, yes?

Many Thanks in advance!

You can update the firmware through the monitoring website or app after connecting the Wi-Fi dongles to the server. When setting up the Wi-Fi dongles, it's best to disable auto-negotiation on the router and connect them to a 2.4GHz band only. WallMount batteries can only be updated using the update cable at the moment. Firmware updates for the 18kPV are relatively easy, but they can take around 5-10 minutes per CPU. While updates are released frequently, not all of them are necessary.

It's really hard to tell, can someone with Wallmount battery and/or 18Kpv tell me if one or the other comes with:
RS485 USB cable
RS232 USB cable

Also, I assume I can use the LAN/Ethernet dongle if my laptop is on the same LAN as the inverter instead of connecting my laptop to the WiFi broadcast from the WiFi Dongle? Or does the Inverter firmware update have to happen from the phone? The tutorial video is a bit confusing, as he rushes through this part...

Thanks!

It's really hard to tell, can someone with Wallmount battery and/or 18Kpv tell me if one or the other comes with:
RS485 USB cable
RS232 USB cable

Also, I assume I can use the LAN/Ethernet dongle if my laptop is on the same LAN as the inverter instead of connecting my laptop to the WiFi broadcast from the WiFi Dongle? Or does the Inverter firmware update have to happen from the phone? The tutorial video is a bit confusing, as he rushes through this part...

Thanks!

The WallMount unit should now include the RS485 and RS232 cable. If it arrives without them, I suggest contacting the distributor you purchased it from to have them sent to you.

Also, the 18kPV firmware update can be done locally or online through the monitoring app and online through the monitoring website at this time.

RS485 USB cable
RS232 USB cable
I have the same setup and no cables were included.

Signature Solar (Jess, specifically) took care of getting cables to me.

Also, the 18kPV firmware update can be done locally or online through the monitoring app and online through the monitoring website at this time.
Thanks, Jared!

So I don't need to update the two inverters separately before I connect and configure them for parallel operation? I can wire them for parallel, get them set up, and then do the inverter firmware updates online?

For future battery updates, will I still need to separate them and do The Update Dance on each of the six batteries individually? Do the batteries shut down as they reboot to install the new firmware? Will this cause the power to be out for the duration of the upgrades?

Thanks, Jared!

So I don't need to update the two inverters separately before I connect and configure them for parallel operation? I can wire them for parallel, get them set up, and then do the inverter firmware updates online?

For future battery updates, will I still need to separate them and do The Update Dance on each of the six batteries individually? Do the batteries shut down as they reboot to install the new firmware? Will this cause the power to be out for the duration of the upgrades?

I suggest updating them individually for the initial update, but once completed, there's no need to disconnect them for future updates. Power will be lost during each CPU update for the inverter once it reaches the installation stage of the download. Regarding the batteries, it's necessary to ensure they are neither charging nor discharging for the RS485 update, and also to have no communication cable connected during this process at this time.

I downloaded a version of the 18kPV LCD update firmware, "EG4-18kPV-LCD-Firmware.zip", from the EG4 Electronics website, "https://www.eg4electronics.com/resources/downloads". The internal folder "EG4-18kPV-LCD-Firmware" inside the compressed 'zip' file has a creation date 4/13/2024 (April 13, 2024). Inside this folder is one other folder, "DWIN_SET", which has a modification date 2/23/2024 (February 23, 2024). I wrote this folder and it files into a FAT32-formatted 64 GB EEPROM USB "flash drive". After placing the USB drive into the 18kPV and restarting the 18kPV, the LCD firmware update-screen will display for 15 seconds, but the LCD firmware DOES NOT UPDATE to any later version. The current version of the LCD firmware I have appears on the display as "1/7". There is no "GUIDE" folder in the EG4 Electronics downloaded firmware.

Does anyone have a later version (11 or 13) that they are willing to send me, or additional information?

When I first tried updating my 18kPV's LCD firmware it wouldn't work no matter what I tried (partitions, formatting etc.) -- eventually I tried using a different USB stick and then it worked the first time.
I just updated to version 14 using this file: EG4-18kPV-LCD-Firmware.zip (which is probably the same one you used,
sha256sum EG4-18kPV-LCD-Firmware.zip => db87591ed00e45fbf2333292c2cc506dfca4fb106d22a6de9600f7c69c06d441)

The USB stick I used (that actually works):
Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 14.76 GiB, 15846080512 bytes, 30949376 sectors
Disk model: USB DISK 3.0   
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x13832300

Device     Boot Start     End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1  *     2048 4196351 4194304   2G  b W95 FAT32
Maybe try making a smaller partition and placing the DWIN_SET on the root of the file system. (or perhaps try a different USB stick)

When I first tried updating my 18kPV's LCD firmware it wouldn't work no matter what I tried (partitions, formatting etc.) -- eventually I tried using a different USB stick and then it worked the first time.
I just updated to version 14 using this file: EG4-18kPV-LCD-Firmware.zip (which is probably the same one you used,
sha256sum EG4-18kPV-LCD-Firmware.zip => db87591ed00e45fbf2333292c2cc506dfca4fb106d22a6de9600f7c69c06d441)

The USB stick I used (that actually works):
Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 14.76 GiB, 15846080512 bytes, 30949376 sectors
Disk model: USB DISK 3.0 
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x13832300

Device     Boot Start     End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1  *     2048 4196351 4194304   2G  b W95 FAT32
Maybe try making a smaller partition and placing the DWIN_SET on the root of the file system. (or perhaps try a different USB stick)
Thanks,

Accurate directions are essential. There is no longer any EG4 "GUIDE" folder in the EG4 update.

Small partitions on larger USB drives (32 GB, 64 GB) DID NOT WORK. Apparently, the EG4 USB connection port on the 18kPV is color-coded white, which is the color-code for the USB version 1.0 and 1.1. That is ancient.

I had to find an OLD Lexar 4 GB USB 2.0 Flash EEPROM "USB flash drive". That was the only thing that worked.
This is 2024, LuxPower/EG4, heh, heh.

Thanks,

Accurate directions are essential. There is no longer any EG4 "GUIDE" folder in the EG4 update.

Small partitions on larger USB drives (32 GB, 64 GB) DID NOT WORK. Apparently, the EG4 USB connection port on the 18kPV is color-coded white, which is the color-code for the USB version 1.0 and 1.1. That is ancient.

I had to find an OLD Lexar 4 GB USB 2.0 Flash EEPROM "USB flash drive". That was the only thing that worked.
This is 2024, LuxPower/EG4, heh, heh.

Glad to see that this worked for you, and I definitely agree about the instructions being essential. I will be reaching out to our team about this.

Back