diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18KPV Problems and Solution

Good point, one problem at a time.

But in the course of 3 phone calls to support they couldn't figure out what we did in just a few posts?
Sometimes it hard to draw a mental image over a phone call. That's why I asked for a wiring diagram. Diagram or pictures would have made it alot easier to diagnose.

Good point, one problem at a time.

But in the course of 3 phone calls to support they couldn't figure out what we did in just a few posts?
Thank you for your help.

Can I set the CT's on the service wires coming into the the main panel from the meter?

If i do this, it will be able to track all loads coming in from the service and all excess power being sold back to the grid?

AND when the grid goes down, the CT's will sense the power outage and the inverter will switch and feed my critical loads panel?

Also will this enable the inverter to use the batteries to feed the critical loads panel when there is no PV (nighttime)?

Thank you for your help.

Can I set the CT's on the service wires coming into the the main panel from the meter?

If i do this, it will be able to track all loads coming in from the service and all excess power being sold back to the grid?

AND when the grid goes down, the CT's will sense the power outage and the inverter will switch and feed my critical loads panel?

Also will this enable the inverter to use the batteries to feed the critical loads panel when there is no PV (nighttime)?
Basically yes. But without a wiring diagram and photos it hard to verify your setup.

Assuming you setup a critical load panel and your solar exceeds load and charging requirements.

Last edited:
It sounds like a line drawing would be most helpful when trying to troubleshoot. Do people draw them by hand? or is there an app or software that make it easier. I am a horrible artist lol

Last edited:
I sounds like the answer to all of my problems is CT placement. Please correct if I am mistaken.

If I were to install the CT's on the main wires before they enter the main breaker then the CT's would be able:

1- to read and track all excess power created from PV exported to the grid.
2- to read and track all power used from PV to power loads on the panel.
3- to read and track all power used from the grid coming into my main panel.
4- identify when there was a power outage and switch to PV or battery power to feed the critical needs panel.
5- Feed the critical needs panel from the battery when there is no PV power (at night or low light conditions)

Thanks again for your help.
4 &5 are taken care by the inverter itself once you have a critical loads panel setup. CTs are needed for 1-3

There is now a 1616 available in the app for everyone. I have just installed it.
Do you guys know if you can update the firmware via the web URL, or do you have to use the app? I just tried via the App and it failed a couple of times - I just kept pressing update firmware to make it keep going.

In the web interface, I see the following on the remote update tab:

1698092237351.png

It's just hanging there at update though.

Eventually it failed, so I clicked "standard update"

1698092899800.png

That appeared to have triggered a download / update the firmware from the web interface, but it too failed after an update hang.

Now when I go back into the app, even with the downloaded firmware there, and connecting directly to the dongle's wifi network, it can't update because the update firmware is grayed out.

Has anyone else seen that / know how to fix it?

I spose I could reboot the inverter, but i'd prefer not to.

Eventually it failed, so I clicked "standard update"

View attachment 173770

That appeared to have triggered a download / update the firmware from the web interface, but it too failed after an update hang.

Now when I go back into the app, even with the downloaded firmware there, and connecting directly to the dongle's wifi network, it can't update because the update firmware is grayed out.

Has anyone else seen that / know how to fix it?

I spose I could reboot the inverter, but i'd prefer not to.
Not yet.

doing the 1616 update right now.

I am assuming the web interface is how eg4 can remotely push an update to your inverter. I just discovered it too.
But in my case I did it in the app, you have to do it twice for the two different files.

I am assuming the web interface is how eg4 can remotely push an update to your inverter. I just discovered it too.
But in my case I did it in the app, you have to do it twice for the two different files.

Yeah, I had to do it twice last time, but this time it failed. I believe @Markus_EG4 is suggesting that we don't update to 1616 right now per another conversation.

1616 has not been tested by us. Luxpower released this firmware without our consent. Im sure they tested it but we always verify at the end to make sure there are no bugs.
I almost messaged you about 1616 yesterday.

Looks like mine is now stuck at this screen:

1698100847729.png

It also Times Out when trying to 'Read' settings:

1698102662855.png

Last edited:
Back