diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP instead of Victron? Thoughts Welcome.

Madcodger

Solar Enthusiast
We're building a new home in Maine this year, in the middle of a blueberry field. NOT likely to do net metering because I don't want to deal with the hassle. MAY bring grid power to the house as "added convenience", but just as likely to remain off-grid (still need to chat more with the power company). Either way, if grid present, would primarily be used to recharge batteries instead of firing up generator or offset battery use when cloudy - as a convenience. I've been planning to just call up Dexter at @CurrentConnected and put together a Victron system with batteries from either EG4 or SOK (~ 3 days of storage). But after seeing some reviews of the fairly new EG4 6000XP, and seeing that Dexter sells them, I find myself interested in those (probably two of them). My theory is that while I'm a big fan of Victron, I could buy another 6000XP and just keep it sitting on a shelf as a spare, and still save money. And if I need more solar than two XPs can handle (16KW), couldn't I just add a separate Victron MPPT SCC running through a Smartshunt/busbar, to the batteries? So, given the details below for those interested enough to continue, what does the group here think?

Here are the details:

1600 SF home with R40 walls, R60 ceiling, triple pane windows. In-floor radiant heat (well-insulated slab) fueled by propane combi-boiler with buffer tank during winter (so no electric HW heater). Two mini-splits (likely Mitsubishi hyper heat) for summer and shoulder season heat (while still decent sun and before slab heated up) so minimal inrush current from those. Heat pump dryer and Grundfos SQ for well pump (again, minimal inrush current).

Good sun (for 44 degrees latitude) from ~9 AM - 2 PM even in late December. Likely 14-16KW of panels (bifacial) and we can easily add more if needed (big field). Will use ground mounts and should be able to seasonally adjust tilt (leaning toward Sinclair).
Propane-fired auto-start generator with a Chargeverter, even if we have grid power.

Biggest current hogs will be an induction cooktop and electric oven, which are must-haves for the boss, who doesn't like propane stoves or ovens due to indoor air pollution they produce. But just two of us, so big meals only a few times/year, when entertaining. I can run my MIG welder (used rarely when I break a tractor implement) from a portable generator, so we won't have huge current draws from that to deal with.

Planning on enough batteries to cover ~ 3 days of no sun, and will use data extrapolated from Emporia Vue in current home to plan for that (and figure I can add more later, if needed).

The Victron multiplus and Quattro designs have been proven over many years. The eg4 6000XP is very young in comparison. Given eg4 basically abandoned it's prior generation with crazy things like trading in your old units warranty towards new units etc.

All comes down to your tolerance for risk.

Victron = Tier 1
EG4 = Tier 3

Pay once, cry once.
Will also suggest Sol Ark. Another Tier 1.
This was my original thought. But then there's the idea of just buying a spare and putting it on the shelf... As for SolArk, I fell in love early, then started to see many reports of problems (shutting down on own, firmware updates causing problems). So still thinking either the one time pain of Victron, or keep a spare, cheap EG4. Decisions... Don't need to decide until summer, at least, as no building until then. My current Victron "little build" at current place just cranks along...

I wouldn't buy eg4 if I could afford victron, and I would personally spend the extra money for victron but for your needs, it looks like a 6000xp would work.

But, do you actually have true net metering available? That alone could be worth the hassle.

Btw, how much do you estimate you'd save going with a 6000xp over victron components?

6000XP x 4 = 100A should cover an all-electric home with modest requirements leave room to go X 6 for 150A, or look at the 18KPV (50A)

My theory is that while I'm a big fan of Victron, I could buy another 6000XP
There is a real world example of this in a new thread today:

There is a real world example of this in a new thread today:

Thanks, @MisterSandals ! I just checked it out. The thing that still has me considering both are 1) the 6000XP is a very different unit than some of the others sold by EG4 (built by Lux Power, which I like). That post deals with a different EG4 product. 2) Space considerations - I don't have much spare room in the limited footprint of the new home, and I know how much room it takes for my current Victron equipment. 3) @HighTechLab sells both, and I don't think they'd knowingly sell junk or want to deal with a problem mfr.

I never thought I'd be considering something other than Victron, or even an AIO, but man that 6000XP does look sweet. But no decisions yet. Hearing from others really helps, and is appreciated.

6.7kwh daily idle
That'd be a big idle load, for sure, but based on my calculations, two inverters are likely enough, and a third would certainly do it. My Multiplus draws about 30 - 35 watts at idle, so not a huge difference from the EG4 unit. For the inverter(s) we'll need, I don't think we can get the idle draw below about 60-100W total, so we just build that into the calcs.

I wouldn't buy eg4 if I could afford victron, and I would personally spend the extra money for victron but for your needs, it looks like a 6000xp would work.

But, do you actually have true net metering available? That alone could be worth the hassle.

Btw, how much do you estimate you'd save going with a 6000xp over victron components?
Thankfully, I can afford either, but space is not as plentiful as I'd like as we're deliberately keeping footprint small (our retirement home). And, if itue smaller, less expensive unit reliably does all we need, my frugality kicks in.

True net metering is available, but we're not yet convinced we want to deal with the power company (Central Maine Power). I'd rather spend a bit more for a day or two's extra batteries. Just this morning we lay in bed listening to the power rapidly go on and off for several cycles, just hammering our appliances and electronics (most of which we now keep on a UPS in large part to prevent that). Another example: We have an uprooted tree down the road leaning over the power lines from a recent windstorm, just ready to come down and take out power when the next big storm hits. I've called it in, our local emergency services crew has called it in, etc., but CMP won't address it until it actually falls, and makes the road impassible for perhaps days. I've got the equipment and people to remove the tree, but can't do so because of their stupid power lines. It may be much easier to just stay off grid and never need to deal with them at the new place.

I admittedly haven't yet put pen to paper to figure out the exact cost difference, but plan to do that soon. The space considerations are a larger worry for me.

50w x4x24 4.8kwh

70w x2x24 3.36kwh
Savings= 1.4kwh /2 = 0.7kwh battery impact

18k $5199x2 $10400

6000xp $1399x4 $5600
Savings $4800
Savings after tax credit $3360

6000xp 5+ year unit
18kpv 10+ year unit
Except that each unit draws 70w as verified here in this forum, not 50w

That'd be a big idle load, for sure, but based on my calculations, two inverters are likely enough, and a third would certainly do it. My Multiplus draws about 30 - 35 watts at idle, so not a huge difference from the EG4 unit. For the inverter(s) we'll need, I don't think we can get the idle draw below about 60-100W total, so we just build that into the calcs.
There is a huge difference between 60w and 280w.
If you only need two 6000xp then it's not so bad at 140w but a victron for the same wattage is likely around the 60w level. For two I wouldn't be concerned. For 4 it's a big concern

There is a huge difference between 60w and 280w.
If you only need two 6000xp then it's not so bad at 140w but a victron for the same wattage is likely around the 60w level. For two I wouldn't be concerned. For 4 it's a big concern
I've seen some reports of the 6000XP at 70W, but most have it lower, at about 50W. But your general points here are certainly worth considering. Thanks.

Thankfully, I can afford either, but space is not as plentiful as I'd like as we're deliberately keeping footprint small (our retirement home). And, if itue smaller, less expensive unit reliably does all we need, my frugality kicks in.

True net metering is available, but we're not yet convinced we want to deal with the power company (Central Maine Power). I'd rather spend a bit more for a day or two's extra batteries. Just this morning we lay in bed listening to the power rapidly go on and off for several cycles, just hammering our appliances and electronics (most of which we now keep on a UPS in large part to prevent that). Another example: We have an uprooted tree down the road leaning over the power lines from a recent windstorm, just ready to come down and take out power when the next big storm hits. I've called it in, our local emergency services crew has called it in, etc., but CMP won't address it until it actually falls, and makes the road impassible for perhaps days. I've got the equipment and people to remove the tree, but can't do so because of their stupid power lines. It may be much easier to just stay off grid and never need to deal with them at the new place.

I admittedly haven't yet put pen to paper to figure out the exact cost difference, but plan to do that soon. The space considerations are a larger worry for me.
If net metering is available

1. You should plan to take advantage of it now. It won't be here forever so get in while you can.
2. If you don't take advantage now You should design a system that can't take advantage later.

With a victron system you can feed the grid with a 6000xp you cannot. You'd have to look at an 18k pv for that.

If you size your system correctly there will be many days were you have ludicrous amounts of excess. Instead of letting it go to waste, Get paid for it to help you recoup your cost. You can permit a stupidly simple grid tie system, and then add the battery system later.

Did you see what happened in CA? When nem2 ended installations dropped by 80%. That's how big of a deal net metering is

There was an early firmware update that lowered the idle consumption. It should be somewhere around 50-60 at most from what I’ve seen.
Are they any vids or pics from a source outside of eg4 showing 50w?

Back