diy solar

diy solar

How to Top Balance Rack Battery?

DIYrich

Solar Wizard
I apologize if this has been discussed, but I couldn't easily find it.

I have a new battery system of 6 Endurenergy ESP-5100. Is there a way to top balance them, or should I even bother?

Batteries are currently at 53.2v (victron smartshunt). They were originally shipped around 52.5 volts, but I have been playing with the setup of the chargeverter and break-in of the back-up generator.

I was thinking of setting the CV to 60 amps (.1c).
What voltage should I charge at?
What voltage should I charge to?
what float voltage/current, and how long to keep it there?

Can I float all at once, or should I float one at a time?

thanks

Looks like a 16 cell pack, so you can use normal charging parameters for this battery similar to the other rack mount models. I charge mine conservatively to 55.2V since some of the individual cells overshoot the 3.45 target and then I let them self-balance. In the end they all settle down to around 3.35V (53.2V-53.6V for the pack) which is their happy place. Some people charge higher, but I see no reason to push mine any higher.

Pre built batteries will either top balance themselves or not. The only way that you can intervene is to open them up.

If you mean how to get each battery assembly to match voltage before tying them together, ya hook them up one at a time to thw scc, then when voltage peak is reached, you switch out to the next battery until they all have reached cut off voltage, then let them sit a day to have them all at resting voltage, then you tie them all together to the bussbar.

If you mean some of your cells are out of balance, then all you can do is set the scc to just over 3.4v/cell and let the bms do its job...
Most rackmounts cant be disassembled to charge cells in parallel for a true top balance.

Back