diy solar

diy solar

How to work with a suboptimal battery bank

aussiesam

I have a tiny battery bank to work with due to budget limitations and a stupidly power hungry inverter to pair it with. Running a tp6048 with idle consumption of 135 watts and a battery bank 48V, 60A. I'm trying to make this work with about 1750watts of solar panels., the way I see it is that the batteries at least allow me to turn on the inverter in an off-grid scenario, but aren't enough to keep the inverter powered overnight. The tp6048 goes into a low power mode when there is no solar and AC inverter is turned off. It then consumes only 25 watts. The problem is that it still thinks its getting solar during sunrise and sunset, meaning it will be consuming 135 watts between 6:30AM till about 7PM, while the array will only be generating more than that between 8AM-5PM realistically.

I don't mind the limitations, if I can only use solar between 8 and 5 that is still acceptable. The issue I am having is that the tp6048 does not have a power button, meaning it will power off due to low battery status every night. Will this damage the inverter or is it perfectly normal for an off grid inverter to shut itself down every night? I appreciate your feedback and any tips on how to make this work.

It might not hurt your inverter but you likely are killing your battery. If you have a breaker between battery and AIO you could shut it down every night and restart it the next morning. You would want a pre-charge circuit so that restart would not overwhelm anything.

Not ideal but you work with what you got.

It might not hurt your inverter but you likely are killing your battery. If you have a breaker between battery and AIO you could shut it down every night and restart it the next morning. You would want a pre-charge circuit so that restart would not overwhelm anything.

Not ideal but you work with what you got.
I can program the maximum battery discharge on the inverter, so I assumed the batteries would be safe. I do like the idea of a switch to turn off the batteries, I have the same for the solar array and would do it if that's my only option. But would prefer it it can be programmed to run automatically, especially the solar charging as I am often busy in the morning

Last edited:
I can program the maximum battery discharge on the inverter, so I assumed the batteries would be safe. I do like the idea of a switch to turn off the batteries, I have the same for the solar array and would do it if that's my only option. But would prefer it it can be programmed to run automatically, especially the solar charging as I am often busy in the morning
Typically these AIO's remain powered if there is either battery or PV (some can function without battery). The various voltage transfer and shutdown points will control the AC bypass relay or inverter operating but the AIO's main board still draws current for control functions. This current draw continues to drain battery to nothing. I know of no way to control automatically it not to do that. Any auto function requires power to operate.

Typically these AIO's remain powered if there is either battery or PV (some can function without battery). The various voltage transfer and shutdown points will control the AC bypass relay or inverter operating but the AIO's main board still draws current for control functions. This current draw continues to drain battery to nothing. I know of no way to control automatically it not to do that. Any auto function requires power to operate.
so perhaps just drain batteries to 50% max, program AC inverter to auto shut-off at 5pm , then it should have enough juice left to run overnight provided that it does consume 25 watts after sunset. On a rainy day just unplug everything :)

Back