diy solar

diy solar

How would you mount bi-facial?

BartonB

I want to mount 5 610w bi-facial to my camper (it's diy, roof is metal)
I want to give them a few cm above the roof for that sweet sunlight to hit the back of it, even if it's just a little bit.. (and also let wind cool it)
unistrut will block it
z brackets - i see people put 6 for a 350w panel
I figured 4 per panel would do but I don't know now...(each bracket will be secured to the STEEL frame of the camper)
note that the panels are 2380 and the roof is 2440

Attached a pic of the current setup with smaller panels
I know, it's hideous, and the metal roof is crazy stupid but that's how I got it, part of the panel replacement is to provide some shade to the roof from the sun, this setup will give me almost full coverage
1721556729610.png

I will set it higher.
I will repaint that roof more so that it reflects more on the panel back.
I will set on the front panels that is in the driving wind a spoiler so the air flow nice over it by driving .
Against sound and protect it against damage.
And good against fuel vs Miles.

I will set it higher.
I will repaint that roof more so that it reflects more on the panel back.
I will set on the front panels that is in the driving wind a spoiler so the air flow nice over it by driving .
Against sound and protect it against damage.
And good against fuel vs Miles.
Paint - It's in my todo of course, highly reflective white coat
Spoiler - of course

Note - the pic is for the current and old setup, the panels would be replaced
I'm restricted on highet, I have 6cm total max from the roof

I ask my self if the investment for this type of panel on a roof with not really space between it .
If the benefits vs cheaper models is a big deal.
I look self in those panels.
But really are more make to set them strait up .
Like a garden fance .

Other thing you can think of .
Is to make a systeem that panels go up .
Your roof is make from steel.
So you can cut away the holders what is on it .
And see if you can set somting like this. See YouTube.

I think you have more power with this.
Just my 2 cents.

I'd leave some 10cm (4'') between panels to let more sun behind. Also would use would use double hinges with 30cm (12'') metal sticks between in all four corners to elevate those panels when stationary using single actuator (all panels connected to each others).

Bipanels may actually raise roof temperature as they let certain wavelengths through. Jury is still out on that but something to consider.

Tilted mechanism is for the future, for now we go simple

Bi-facial - anything above 550w is bifacial so it is what is is...I got them pretty cheap (20cents per w, trina solar)

Tilted mechanism is for the future, for now we go simple

Bi-facial - anything above 550w is bifacial so it is what is is...I got them pretty cheap (20cents per w, trina solar)
Its a diy project so its just some small steel and set it on.
Personal i will set it .
Wy do job 2 times.

In the films it tell you the benefits the power extra you get from it
Panels on a roof flat cost a lot of watts.

My own flat panels are 250watt and i do on good day just 160watt +/- .
Almost 100watt lost or in this case .
5ampere to 7ampere lost .
5x10 hours sun = 50Ah :2 (we have 5 hours full sun) 25Ah lost on a 100watt panel .
And than we are not talking about the rest of the day on sunlights

Go see what you gone lose on your total panel power.
Just to set them flat .

I see a lot of complaints that people can not charge the battery and have load like a A.C systeem running.
And have flat panels

Advantages of bifacial solar panels:

Higher energy output: Due to their ability to capture solar energy from both sides, bifacial panels can produce up to 30 % more energy than traditional panels.

Long life: Bifacial panels are typically more robust and more resistant to adverse weather conditions.

Aesthetics: These panels can be more aesthetically appealing because they don´t have visible frames.
Installation flexibility: They can be installed vertically, horizontally, or even as a fence, which expands the possibilities of their usage.

Disadvantages of bifacial solar panels:

Higher initial cost: Bifacial panels can be more expensive than traditional solar panels.

Optimal conditions: To operate most efficiently, bifacial panels require specific conditions, such as suitable reflective surfaces beneath them.

Installation challenges: They may require special mounting systems and greater distance from the ground.

Maintenance: Both sides of the panel may need to be cleaned regularly, which can increase maintenance costs.

With a tilt systeem you can clean them.

Good luck for the rest.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240721-130534.png
    Screenshot_20240721-130534.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 0
DIY tilt mechanism is an extremely hard project, need to withstand extreme forces
I won't DIY it, I will buy a finished tested product, if and when one will come out (didn't find something on the market that fits my need)

diy solar

diy solar
Back