diy solar

diy solar

Less than 50 pounds solar panels near 450 watt range possible?

Nonlin

So my current setup includes six 450W bi-facial solar panels by renogy which I decided to ground mount due to their weight and a few other reasons.

I'm looking to potentially put three more on the roof, but I'm looking for the same watts around 450 but lighter so that'll be easier to install on the roof. So far any ones that have looked from the 400 to 450 range that are not bifacial are still around 50 lb.

I thought bi-facials are typically heavier due to the double glass pane, but it seems like it's just as heavy as even non-bi-facial solar panels.

Last edited:
I thought bi-facials are typically heavier do the double glass pain, but it seems like it's just as heavy as even non-bi-facial solar panels
I wondered that too - bi-facials do seem a tiny bit heavier, but when I looked at the specs in more depth it seems that commonly single sided ones have 3.2mm of glass, then the PV cells, whereas the bifacials (and some non bifacials) have 1.6mm of glass either side of the cells, bonded together.

Guess they need 3-4mm of thickness for the strength, irrespective of whether they are clear or opaque on the back?

My Solarever 455 panels are 52lbs each. Put 14 on my roof. Didn't find that difficult to handle. The bulkiness of it was probably a bigger deal than the weight. And in reality, you are doing it once, so I really wouldn't let a few extra pounds dictate the panel.

Back