diy solar

diy solar

Howdy from Houston, Texas and the Gulf Coast!

Cajunwolf

Solar Enthusiast
I like to think of myself as the most interesting man in the world, teller of tales, sailer of the seven seas, slayer of Dragons, the savior of Damsels in distress, and all-around nice guy. And yes, I can sling it can't I. Chuckling.

I'm interested in all of this cool new stuff, I'll be 66 December the 14th, happily retired, and at present, my project is a sailboat to which I'm refitting with, in addition to its diesel, a 48VDC 20kw motor for the primary auxiliary drive with the diesel now the secondary. A sailboats primary drive is, of course, the wind. All run by somewhere around 300ah of LiFePO4 batteries, still working on that, replenished by solar, regeneration while under sail, and wind as well as a trickle from current turbines. The diesel will drive the boat while running a generator and supplying ships power 12VDC and 120VAC via an inverter when the sun is not shining enough to replenish the batteries. When in the middle of the Atlantic or Pacific, this is a convenient thing to have.

Welcome! Can't wait to hear about your project!

Welcome! Can't wait to hear about your project!
Wow, howdy svetz, and sorry for the late reply here, but saw your other comment in my Harsh Environment thread post first forgetting this one, we've already met, but didn't want you to think me rude. And of course you've already seen\read of my project, but I have many, and I think this forum an excellent resource. So far, everyone seems friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable, but above all, interesting. I run two forums myself. One, Battlefieldsingleplayer, is a gaming-game modding-game AI forum based on the old Battelfield1942 game series focusing on the modding, mapping, and singleplayer-AI aspects of the game. We support up to Battlefield 2, after that the AI and game became un-mod-able, and a waste of time and money. I do AI programming and make the map folks play on from real life aerial photographs converted into heightmaps. Skilled 3D modelers then recreate all of the structures, trees, and scenery, vehicles, and soldiers to recreate super realistic recreations of the actual battlefields. I own the domain, have run it since 2004, and have over 10K members globally. I use Invision PowerBoard software for my forums. I say that to say this; there is nothing more educational than a well-run community forum, bar none! Everything has the possibility of becoming collaborative, which accelerates learning. This one is shaping up to be an excellent go-to resource for off the grid renewable energy of all types all in one neat package. Stay the course!

Back