diy solar

diy solar

Huge Shout Out to Morningstar Corporation

justgary

Solar Addict
I would like to publicly thank Pete Thompson at Morningstar for resolving my issue in the absolute best way possible.

TL,DR; Morningstar Technical Support has the ability to do what they need to do to solve your issues, including replacing your ancient hardware! Thank you, Pete!

The background: I have two old Tristar TS-45 PWM charge controllers (one is a backup for the primary, and normally sits in its box). I am switching this installation from lead acid to LFP, so I needed to be able to program custom control settings into the controllers.

Without going into a long story, the backup unit was in service for a short time several years ago (I switched them so I could take the primary home to clean it and test it when I changed the batteries). For whatever reason, at some point the backup died with a "Voltage Sense" fault after only a short time in service. I put the primary back in service, where it continued to do its duty until this month.

With the backup unit at home (it still tries to function, but I can't trust it due to the hardware fault), I wanted to make sure of the procedure to load custom software before I tried at the off grid location. I was able to update the firmware OK, but the unit would not take custom programming. I decided that it was because of the "Voltage Sense" error, and trundled off to the lake to upload the primary unit and install the battery. When I got there, I found that I could not upload firmware or custom programming, so I installed the battery and removed the primary controller to bring home for further study.

After a few long days of research and trying lots of ways to load the controller, I decided to contact Morningstar for help. Pete replied and asked for the serial numbers of both units. He told me that the older unit would not take a firmware upload due to the way they had originally programmed it. Once he was convinced that the backup unit was dead due to the "Voltage Sense" fault (and not a different fault that would flash the same code), he decided to send me two new units. This is amazing customer service!

My primary TS-45 had 113,496 hours on the job, and had been through two sets of deep cycle batteries. That is just under 13 years of service. The backup was only in service for a short period, and I really don't know what happened to it to make it fault. Both units were long out of warranty. The fact that Pete replaced either one is amazing to me, but he decided to get me fully back in service by replacing both!

The bottom line: Always remember to be very kind and courteous to customer service / technical support people that try to help you. They generally always have the ability to brush you off if you are rude or mean to them, but sometimes you will find that they have the ability to do what they think is right to get you back in service. Pete Thompson at Morningstar is my personal hero for getting me back online at significant cost to the company. Thank you again, Pete!

My primary TS-45 had 113,496 hours on the job, and had been through two sets of deep cycle batteries.
Great to hear!!

Another shout out to Morningstar from me.

I've got a little 12v little test/demo system in the corner of my shop and part of that is a Morningstar 300w SureSine inverter. It's nice little inverter for what it is. The first one failed after a few years and was out of warranty. I called to see of there was something I could trouble shoot and fix, I didn't as much as mention wanting a replacement. Without hesitation they just sent me a new one. Nice folks!

My Morningstar charge controller has been flawless for 10 years. I swapped my bank to LFP about a year and a half ago, made some parameter adjustments, and it continues to serve perfectly.

My TriStar TS-45 PWM has been online for almost 14 years without so much as a hiccup. Also, the manual that came with it is very impressive. It's not only a "how to" document, but practically a course on solar power. I installed that in my truck camper in the winter of 2009 while boondocking out in the desert, and after getting it set up passed much of the time while reading and enjoying that manual. Every company that provides a manual consisting of one page of stick figures, or nothing at all, should sit up and take notice. Morningstar is a first rate operation.

I would like to publicly thank Pete Thompson at Morningstar for resolving my issue in the absolute best way possible.

TL,DR; Morningstar Technical Support has the ability to do what they need to do to solve your issues, including replacing your ancient hardware! Thank you, Pete!

The background: I have two old Tristar TS-45 PWM charge controllers (one is a backup for the primary, and normally sits in its box). I am switching this installation from lead acid to LFP, so I needed to be able to program custom control settings into the controllers.

Without going into a long story, the backup unit was in service for a short time several years ago (I switched them so I could take the primary home to clean it and test it when I changed the batteries). For whatever reason, at some point the backup died with a "Voltage Sense" fault after only a short time in service. I put the primary back in service, where it continued to do its duty until this month.

With the backup unit at home (it still tries to function, but I can't trust it due to the hardware fault), I wanted to make sure of the procedure to load custom software before I tried at the off grid location. I was able to update the firmware OK, but the unit would not take custom programming. I decided that it was because of the "Voltage Sense" error, and trundled off to the lake to upload the primary unit and install the battery. When I got there, I found that I could not upload firmware or custom programming, so I installed the battery and removed the primary controller to bring home for further study.

After a few long days of research and trying lots of ways to load the controller, I decided to contact Morningstar for help. Pete replied and asked for the serial numbers of both units. He told me that the older unit would not take a firmware upload due to the way they had originally programmed it. Once he was convinced that the backup unit was dead due to the "Voltage Sense" fault (and not a different fault that would flash the same code), he decided to send me two new units. This is amazing customer service!

My primary TS-45 had 113,496 hours on the job, and had been through two sets of deep cycle batteries. That is just under 13 years of service. The backup was only in service for a short period, and I really don't know what happened to it to make it fault. Both units were long out of warranty. The fact that Pete replaced either one is amazing to me, but he decided to get me fully back in service by replacing both!

The bottom line: Always remember to be very kind and courteous to customer service / technical support people that try to help you. They generally always have the ability to brush you off if you are rude or mean to them, but sometimes you will find that they have the ability to do what they think is right to get you back in service. Pete Thompson at Morningstar is my personal hero for getting me back online at significant cost to the company. Thank you again, Pete!
Good Evening!!!

I think this is my first post.... and Yes, I got a pair of PWM TS60 MorningStar Charge Controllers working in parallel for the last 17 years. Back by late 2006, I write to MorningStar Customer Service for a failed firmware update to one of my controllers. There, Noah Sindermann, from MS Technical Support was very helpful with the response I'm attaching to this post.

They kindly send me a new TS60 Charge Controller and all I was ask to do besides of put the new one to work, was to return the old one on a prepaid label to the crate used for the new one.

After that, numerous firmware updates have been performed into both CC. I think last update was v12b, even when they got the last one v16, which I will download and have it handy since I'm probably moving to lithium and need to be updated to the latest in order to have all cover for the new BMS.

As you mention, Customer Service Personnel do their best to try to help even under the worst situations, our frustrations and over the phone miles away from our locations.

Thanks Noah for your outstanding service!!!

Another Shout Out to MorningStar Customer Service. They are owesome.

Attachments

• Capture 23.JPG
    Capture 23.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 3
My MS 600V 60A SCC is doing fantastic. I would highly recommend them. The only noise from it is a light chirping when current limiting. No fans are great. Yes, great, efficient customer service. Sure, it cost more, but I don’t have time to deal with half tested, poorly built equipment from other manufacturers and distributors. To each his own.

Back