diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid Generator, does it already exist?!

jgriffin

Hey all,

Is there such a thing as a hybrid generator? Think of it like any other all-in-one charger/inverter that we all have grown to love, with mc4 connectors for solar to run easily to it, and battery. Sounds an awful lot like a solar generator, sure.

But, what if the 2 wire functionality of an all-in-one was pre-wired to a small onboard generator that could come on as needed? If it were geared up crafty with a transfer switch, it could even use solar during grid on situations (open to generator while solar is adequate, close to grid when solar is low, i’m talking a few critical circuits here). In the event of no grid, no solar, get a safety prompt like a phev to make sure it is safe to start generator, and have that take over.

I could see it being marketed as a product that you can kind of dip your toe into solar, for those initially wanting a gas generator for backup purposes. Why have just a generator, when you can have an ROI pairing it with solar? I know something like this can be built, but to have something all packaged up for the average home owner, think it could work.

Back