diy solar

diy solar

hybrid inverter and batteries

mudhole

I installed a 5kw system, with a 5k sma grid tie inverter. I was looking at a solar generator with 240v capabilites, but started thinking, could I just change out my inverter for a hybrid and add batteries? if so , which would you suggest, I know that sma has a new hybrid inverter, not sure what batteries you have to use with it, would really like a battery agnostic hybrid inverter, and suggestions on batteries?

EG4 Powerpro (about 14kWh if you can manage 300#, about $3,500 depending if you need the outside model), a variety of 5kWh rack batteries are available (each about $1,200 or more) or DIY (about $2,000 for a 15kWh battery)

1. where do you suggest purchasing these?
2. can you explain "DIY (about $2,000 for a 15kWh battery)" , I am all about diy to save money, how do you get 15kw for $2000?

how do you get 15kw for $2000?
You buy 16 LFP cells 3.2V 300ish AH and a BMS, then either build or buy a box and assemble into a Battery.

I have built 2 using the easy way by buying a box with the BMS and all the wires etc included. UK cost was £1550 ea.

1. where do you suggest purchasing these?
2. can you explain "DIY (about $2,000 for a 15kWh battery)" , I am all about diy to save money, how do you get 15kw for $2000?
You may run into code issues connecting DIY batteries to a hybrid inverter. Even if your local AHJ is fine, the power company is unlikely to appreciate you plugging a DIY battery to their grid. An offgrid solution is usually better for the DIY route. You'll probably need something that's UL listed.

Where to find them?

I installed a 5kw system, with a 5k sma grid tie inverter. I was looking at a solar generator with 240v capabilites, but started thinking, could I just change out my inverter for a hybrid and add batteries? if so , which would you suggest, I know that sma has a new hybrid inverter, not sure what batteries you have to use with it, would really like a battery agnostic hybrid inverter, and suggestions on batteries?
You need to make sure that your steering size is compatible with the new inverter.

Your sma probably has 600v input. If that's maxed out you'll need to make sure the new inverter can also do 600v input. If you're not maxed out then you have many more options.

does the growatt inverter need to have a separate "essential circuits panel" ?

is what I am planning as simple as just swapping out the grid tie inverter with a hybrid, adding a battery bank and making sure the voltage inputs are within the new inverter range?

diy solar

diy solar
Back