diy solar

diy solar

I’m curious about the LiFePO4 battery charge/discharge currents.

Jim Burrow

Solar Enthusiast
I have not bought my batteries yet, but just doing research. With respect to the 24V LiFePO4, the specs say they can handle Maximum Continuous Charge Current: 130A @ 25℃ and the same for discharge current - Maximum Continuous Discharge Current: 130A @ 25℃.

Can Lithium batteries really handle this kind of charge and discharge currents without blowing them up?

I blow up a 12v lead-acid battery once when I was a hot roder back in the ’60s when I tried to start my engine with a very high compression ratio, it blow the battery all apart. I had acid all over my engine.

Anyway, what is a safe charge and discharge rate for LiFePO4 batteries with respect to longevity and safety?

What do most of you guys/gals set your charge and discharge rates at in your controllers?

– I don’t need to burn down my house because I didn’t respect the charge and discharge rates of a battery.

Almost all LFP can handle 1C discharge rates and 0.5C charge rates.

So these 280Ah cells that everyone talks about? Discharge at 280A and charge at 140A.

In most cases, you likely won't get anywhere near them with a sufficiently sized battery.

I have not bought my batteries yet, but just doing research. With respect to the 24V LiFePO4, the specs say they can handle Maximum Continuous Charge Current: 130A @ 25℃ and the same for discharge current - Maximum Continuous Discharge Current: 130A @ 25℃.

Can Lithium batteries really handle this kind of charge and discharge currents without blowing them up?

I blow up a 12v lead-acid battery once when I was a hot roder back in the ’60s when I tried to start my engine with a very high compression ratio, it blow the battery all apart. I had acid all over my engine.

Anyway, what is a safe charge and discharge rate for LiFePO4 batteries with respect to longevity and safety?

What do most of you guys/gals set your charge and discharge rates at in your controllers?

– I don’t need to burn down my house because I didn’t respect the charge and discharge rates of a battery.
There are many "Caravans" In Australia running induction ranges and A/C off of less battery the what you propose. so... yep

diy solar

diy solar
Back