diy solar

diy solar

I hate BLUETTI AC200 provided whimpy solar cable. So I made my own…

usnoozeulose

I hate it when companies give you cheap accessories. For example Bluetti charges $1800 for their AC200 and then gives you a cheap whimpy XT90 to MC4 solar cable. I ended up making my own with 10awg wires. Look at the size comparison. Bigger the cable the lesser the loss. The YT reviewers of these products should point this out.

Attachments

• B7326A5F-4FD1-41AF-9F6E-9BCC84094EEB.jpeg
    B7326A5F-4FD1-41AF-9F6E-9BCC84094EEB.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 97
Yikes! What’s the point in an xt90 tied to what, 14? What size is their coonductor?

Did it make a difference in input power?
I wanted to replace the wire because it was running a little hot. But since I spliced it to find out it’s not even pure copper, it doesn’t matter to me anymore. I just use the one I made and forget about it.

Attachments

• B4D2880B-F191-4375-89E7-4059EA1C22A4.jpeg
    B4D2880B-F191-4375-89E7-4059EA1C22A4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
Very unwise to post email in a thread. Best to have it in your profile
Hey 'Snooze, you have the aviation 2-pin female input to the XT-? Is it XT-90 or 60? Anyway, it didn't come when I purchased my 200p. Don't care about the other cables. I can make those. It's the aviation cable that gives me a headache to find. You can shoot me an email: badaboom521@yahoo.com

So, how does this help recharge the AC200? I understand the cable may run cooler, but with such a short cable I would be shocked if the AC200 was recharged more quickly beyond a minuscule amount of time since it can only receive 700w via solar regardless.

So, how does this help recharge the AC200? I understand the cable may run cooler, but with such a short cable I would be shocked if the AC200 was recharged more quickly beyond a minuscule amount of time since it can only receive 700w via solar regardless.
Heat is lost power. Plus he is now happier every time plugs it in. Win win, I say.

Hey 'Snooze, you have the aviation 2-pin female input to the XT-? Is it XT-90 or 60? Anyway, it didn't come when I purchased my 200p. Don't care about the other cables. I can make those. It's the aviation cable that gives me a headache to find. You can shoot me an email: badaboom521@yahoo.com
The "aviation" cable is called a "Weipu" connector. You can find some on Ebay or Amazon.

There really isn't much benefit here. Better off using the cable it comes with.

The "upgraded" adapter pictured is using PV wires that have thicker insulation. This will make them look thicker, but the original cable can handle the current just fine.

The cable that comes with the unit has
insulation with a high temp rating and can easily handle the current with minimal losses. Because the insulation is not as thick, you will feel the warmth.

I would argue that the chance for a bad termination or improper soldering of the XT connector is much higher. I've soldered hundreds of those connectors in my drone racing days, and it's easy to screw up. Well, depends on your tools and which connector you're using. Some are a lot easier to solder than others. Furthermore, the mc4 connection needs to be done properly. More risk of screwing something up.

Better off just using the original adaptor. Unless someone can post proof that the original is not adequate.

Last edited:
There really isn't much benefit here. Better off using the cable it comes with.

The "upgraded" adapter pictured is using PV wires that have thicker insulation. This will make them look thicker, but the original cable can handle the current just fine.

The cable that comes with the unit has
insulation with a high temp rating and can easily handle the current with minimal losses. Because the insulation is not as thick, you will feel the warmth.

I would argue that the chance for a bad termination or improper soldering of the XT connector is much higher. I've soldered hundreds of those connectors in my drone racing days, and it's easy to screw up. Well, depends on your tools and which connector you're using. Some are a lot easier to solder than others. Furthermore, the mc4 connection needs to be done properly. More risk of screwing something up.

Better off just using the original adaptor. Unless someone can post proof that the original is not adequate.
Question, with the two piece adaptors, with the 'aviation' to XT90 then XT90 to MC4 for a connection from a solar array to the Bluetti unit. Is there much benefit, at all, from creating a 'aviation' to MC4 cable and the solar array going in directly? I'm running a 30m 6mm cable from my array to charge location for my Bluetti batteries and want to make sure nothing is 'lost' in the final connections. Or am I over thinking it?

Back