diy solar

diy solar

I need a 5S LifePO4 BMS.

A.Justice

Swears he didn't start that fire.
I'm building a new battery for my son's power Wheels, apparently people who run it off of their 18 volt tool batteries report that there's too much voltage and there's problems with gears stripping. I've replaced the old 12v SLA it came with with one of my small lithium packs, and it makes a huge difference in torque, which translates to power and speed through the yard.

I'd like to add one more cell, to make the nominal voltage 16v, I think that will add a little bit of speed, while not adding too much voltage. I could physically fit a sixth cell, but if I did that, I would need to redo the entire "drive train" with a PWM controller, rather than the simple switches it comes with. If I go over 5S, I might as well just do a 24 volt battery with speed controller, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

At max, it pulls about 60 amps, so I'd like a 70 amp minimum BMS, that can do 5s. I can find lots of 5S ones for lipo, but not LiFePO4.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

A bit spendy.
Thank you, I would have never found that.

Yeah, that's a bit more than what I'm looking for for a cheap kids project. I'm sure I'll ponder it for the next few days, and end up buying it anyway though.

Do you think I could I use a 24 volt BMS, and just not use the extra leads? It seems like something that a simple firmware or hardware modification would be able to accomplish.

I found this, The photo of the product says auto detect 5S-16s, but when you scroll down to the purchase options, it says 6S to 16S. I've sent an email to JBD, hopefully I can get a better answer.

Screenshot_20230929-121931_Google PDF Viewer.jpg

This is from the Overkill solar manual, and it states that a 4S BMS will handle five cells, but doesn't have a fifth lead. Is there anywhere I can add that lead? I'm pretty decent at soldering.

diy solar

diy solar
Back