diy solar

diy solar

I want to make sure my AIO never backfeeds to the grid. How to test?

EliteSolar

Hi All,

I have a 3.6kw AIO inverter . The model is EASUN SMG II 3.6KW. This model doesn't have a setting to backfeed to the grid.

The unit is possible to run just on PV ( no batteries, no AC IN ) and directly output AC 240V. ( tested )

It can also blend/mix power with the grid ( through AC IN ) ( tested with and without batteries ). That means that if my PVs are producing 1kw and my Air Condition Unit needs 1.5kw , it will draw 0.5kw from the grid.

Many people were wondering what is the maximum power draw on AC OUT in bypass mode and some report that it can output up to 40A in that mode, its only 3.6kw output through the inverter ( panels + batteries ) . I found a post about a similar clone AIO ( MPP ) that explains how ti blends/mixes the PV output with grid , so most probably my unit is similar :

---------------------

"1. when the AC bypass mode is enabled, the AC input and AC outputs lines are bridged together via relay switches

2. the inverter feeds the energy created from the solar panels on to the bridged AC input/output lines by raising the AC voltage via internal semiconductor power switches (IGBTs), in the same way that a normal grid-tied feed-in tariff inverter does. The only difference is that this inverter can never feed energy back into the grid. This must be limited in the software, even though in hardware it is possible to do.

3. this means that when the AC bypass mode is enabled you can go beyond 5KW load - I have successfully gone to over 8KW for several minutes without shutting down - just got the over load beeping.. The maximum power limit would be set by the inverter's internal 40A circuit beaker (about 40A x 250V = 10KW) or what ever circuit breaker you may use on the external AC input line."

-----------------------------

So how can I be sure my AIO never backfeeds to the grid ? It's illegal to do so.

Is there any reliable way to test for this ? Someone suggested a watts meter , it will show negative watts , but is this a reliable way to test for 5mV for example ? Or for a millisecond ?

Thank you !

Yes, a bidirectional Watt meter would measure Amps in and out but might only give you net.

Last edited:
Looking up your unit over on EAsuns website (EASUN POWER 3600W Solar Inverter MPPT 100A Solar Charger 220V Pure Sine Wave Off Grid Inverter) it is not grid tie. Reading through its operation manual I see no reference to any ability to back feed. Without knowing it for a fact I believe your unit uses AC in to supply the DC bus when more inverter output is needed than solar can provide. The manual shows this for line mode operation page 32. Solar first mode.

Nice unit I wish they made one with 120vAC output and for the US market.

An example that is grid tie is this one: https://easunpower.com/products/eas...f-grid-80a-mppt-solar-controller-ship-from-eu

I see. I also hope that is the case , I Just want to be 100% sure it never backfeeds...

To be sure could I use like a diode on the AC IN ? or a cheap way to test for inverse current flow , I saw those bidirectional digital watt meters but I havent found one in my country yet

Back