diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP - Setup For Solar Priority with Grid Charge Backup

ScullerGuy

For my setup I want to operate on solar unless the SOC drops below 20%. At that point I want it to pull from a grid connection to charge the batteries. In the Maintenance Tab, there is a section labeled "AC Charge" where

"AC Charge Based On" can be set for "Battery SOC (According To)"
"AC Charge Start Battery SOC(%)" can be set to 20%
"AC Charge End Battery SOC(%)" can be set for 80%

By doing this will the inverters work as I need, or will they default to Bypass mode over Solar if the Grid Input has current?

For my setup I want to operate on solar unless the SOC drops below 20%. At that point I want it to pull from a grid connection to charge the batteries. In the Maintenance Tab, there is a section labeled "AC Charge" where

"AC Charge Based On" can be set for "Battery SOC (According To)"
"AC Charge Start Battery SOC(%)" can be set to 20%
"AC Charge End Battery SOC(%)" can be set for 80%

By doing this will the inverters work as I need, or will they default to Bypass mode over Solar if the Grid Input has current?
It won't default to bypass mode, no. It will just power your loads using solar and/or battery as needed until the batteries get down to 20%. Then it will start pulling from the grid to charge your batteries at the rate you configure in the settings.

That's how I was using it to start with, until I realized that by doing this during the very low solar days my batteries were consistently running down, then getting charged by the grid, and then the loads getting powered primarily by energy from the batteries until they get low enough that they start charging from the grid again, etc. I realized that operating in that way I was actually pulling more total energy from the grid than my loads were even using. Instead I switched to a combination of settings such that if the batteries get low enough, the inverter just switches to bypass mode and passes the grid power straight to the loads without introducing the efficiency losses that happen with the grid charging scenario. Only the available solar is used to charge the batteries in that scenario. Once the batteries get charged up by solar, then it switches from bypass back to powering the loads with the inverter.

Here are 2 links I think will be helpful:

Avoiding efficiency losses on the 6000XP

6000XP working modes quick reference

Back