diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 6000xp off grid

Ed Preston

I set up my new 48v lifepo4 battery made of 3.3v 280ah cells 16s with overkill solar bms. Then hooked up eg4 6000xp inverter. I understand that I have to set battery up as lead acid and I set parameters. My situation is truly off grid. Purchased a 9000 preditor generator for charging batteries when solar not enough. Solar chargers have never started even though screen says 40v. Any how, I was charging my battery and power pass through to the house on first charge. It was going great for 5 hours and then stopped charging. Battery was only at 55v. Now I am unable to charge in any way. I'm praying someone can help.

The manual is poor but it has what you are looking for.

You need a minimum of 120 volts of PV to wake up the charger.

Did you set your float voltage?
what did you set your charge voltage too?

I set up my new 48v lifepo4 battery made of 3.3v 280ah cells 16s with overkill solar bms. Then hooked up eg4 6000xp inverter. I understand that I have to set battery up as lead acid and I set parameters. My situation is truly off grid. Purchased a 9000 preditor generator for charging batteries when solar not enough. Solar chargers have never started even though screen says 40v. Any how, I was charging my battery and power pass through to the house on first charge. It was going great for 5 hours and then stopped charging. Battery was only at 55v. Now I am unable to charge in any way. I'm praying someone can help.
You should not set up as lead acid. It should have either a BMS communication LifePo4 setting or a user defined setting where you can put in the correct voltage values.

If PV voltage is only 40vDC than it is not high enough to charge a 48vDC (nom) battery.

The inverter will through communication code 00 if I set as lifepo4 as it has no communication. Tech support said it has to be set as lead acid. I've tried many brand codes with no success
Yeah, Im using the lead setting too.

I am very confused on your voltages. Your 16s lifepo battery stopped charging at 31v? Or did you mean Amp hours?

Yeah, Im using the lead setting too.

I am very confused on your voltages. Your 16s lifepo battery stopped charging at 31v? Or did you mean Amp hours?
It stopped charging at 55 volts ish. I was charging with max generator setting at 5870wt and bms said there were 31v coming in from charger.

The max setting on inverter is like 7850wat and I turned it down to try to be safe.
It is most likely not your current problem but I wouldnt use more than 3500 watts of that generator. Someone who knows more than me can tell you why.

there were 31v coming in from charger.
You must be talking about amp hours... There is NO reason the BMS would say 31 v with a 16s setup unless there was a major problem.

We need to figure this out.

Does anybody know if the 6000XP works as a solar charger with the inverter off? And if so what are the parasitic losses in that condition? I can't find anything in the manual on this.

Right now I run a 6000EX and both that and the similar MPP-LVX6048 will turn on and charge batteries even if the inverter (AC Output) is off. In this mode the unit has no parasitic losses at night and comes on with about 120VDC solar input at which point it has about 85watts of parasitic loss. That 85 watts is still a lot and more than the claimed standby power for the 6000XP - but it is a LOT less than the 200watt+ standby losses on the 6000EX when the inverter is on.

My system is also remote and off grid. I do everything I can to power devices (network, security, heaters, controls) from the 48VDC batteries so I can avoid the inverter losses and the standby losses from the all-in-one. If I take SS up on the Upgrade and go to 6000XP can I run it like this with 0watts nighttime standby power? And anybody know what the parasitic losses would be when charging if it can?

Also the worst of the parasitic losses on the 6000EX is that it turns on at 120VDC solar input when it has no ability to make any appreciable power so it starts to drain the batteries at about 1.5amps. Some days if sun conditions are bad enough it will drain at 1.5amps all day and never actually do any charging - aka it would have been better if it just stayed off.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if the 6000XP works as a solar charger with the inverter off? And if so what are the parasitic losses in that condition? I can't find anything in the manual on this.

Right now I run a 6000EX and both that and the similar MPP-LVX6048 will turn on and charge batteries even if the inverter (AC Output) is off. In this mode the unit has no parasitic losses at night and comes on with about 120VDC solar input at which point it has about 85watts of parasitic loss. That 85 watts is still a lot and more then the claimed standby power for the 6000XP - but it is a LOT less than the 200watt+ standby losses on the 6000EX when the inverter is on.

My system is also remote and off grid. I do everything I can to power devices (network, security, heaters, controls) from the 48VDC batteries so I can avoid the inverter losses and the standby losses from the all-in-one. If I take SS up on the Upgrade and go to 6000XP can I run it like this with 0watts nighttime standby power? And anybody know what the parasitic losses would be when charging if it can?

Also the worst of the parasitic losses on the 6000EX is that it turns on at 120VDC solar input when it has no ability to make any appreciable power so it starts to drain the batteries at about 1.5amps. Some days if sun conditions are bad enough it will drain at 1.5amps all day and never actually do any charging - aka it would have been better if it just stayed off.
I have the EG4 3000 watt ones and they work with inverter off. I assume the 6000XP would as well
There are maybe 30 minutes of run time after sun goes down, then it powers down and there's no "parasitic losses" after that.
However for 30-60 mins I'd say every day there are losses, it will turn on in the morning before it has enough power to power it's idle as well. Maybe like 10 watts difference or so lower so not much.
but when the sun goes down it'll be pulling it's full idle wattage from the batteries for like 30-60 or so mins and then it powers down. I forgot the idle wattage from wills videos but it's like 40 watts or something total?

Thanks @gotbeans . Do you know who OEMs the EG4-3000? It doesn't look like their older Voltronic units (like the 6000EX) or like the newer LuxPower ones (like the 6000XP and 18K). I just wonder if the 3000's behaviors would match the 6000XP just because I think they aren't made by the same company.

Thanks @gotbeans . Do you know who OEMs the EG4-3000? It doesn't look like their older Voltronic units (like the 6000EX) or like the newer LuxPower ones (like the 6000XP and 18K). I just wonder if the 3000's behaviors would match the 6000XP just because I think they aren't made by the same company.
No idea. I thought all of them were SRNE or whatever it is called but I forget that stuff 5 minutes after I've read it 100 times on the forums.
I know some other members probably know right away
using the search I see https://diysolarforum.com/threads/srne-hyp-series-vs-eg4-3000ehv-hf-series.76792/ it is SRNE but no idea if this guy is correct or what

With what you said it makes sense though, cuz the 18k and 6000XP seem way better than the others so it makes sense an entirely different company is involved

and they raised the price on the 6000. I am waiting to see what comes out soon that is cheaper.

Back