diy solar

diy solar

If 280Ah cells are commonly available, why are 280Ah pre-built batteries rarely found for sale?

iClick

I regularly see 100, 120, 150, 200, 300A/h etc batteries in the marketplace but given 280A/h cells are relatively common, you rarely see them as pre-built versions. Can anyone explain why?

Yep there is a point of diminishing returns when a battery get too big and Heavy.
Packaging expenses, transport issues and delivery cost all make it a poor seller.

280ah cells are ~12lb, 16 of them is 195lb for cells alone, plus casing, plus bms, plus terminals. At minimum you're looking at 200lb. for a 280ah 48v pack. I would suspect a lot of people couldn't move 200lb.

There’s actually a fair amount, they just mostly all have overseas shipping
To parrot the above, i imagine freight is a large factor.
Quotes are significantly higher when I query prebuilt batteries vs raw cells of the same capacity
I think they will eventually become more common unless HV takes off

It's called the EG4 Powerpro and weighs 300 pounds. How many 300# items do you see sold to DIY'rs?

A 12v 280ah is doable, and some are sold in the 400ah range. But at that size, the DIY is starting to think about a 48v system.
Was thinking the same thing. 👍

You can DIY 16S Packs with large cells, the cases etc are available, and there is a reasonable variety out there but must be aware of what is & isn't included. There are Large (280/304AH) pre-built packs available but the shipping crosses into insanity.
The average price range (in China) of $2,300. - $2,800. + S&H.

It's also about marketing and manufacturing costs as well as profit. In addition I am sure the solar industry is also tuned into the NEC and NFPA (NFPA 855 Standard for the Installation of Stationary Energy Storage Systems). In particular the NFPA (more importantly AHJ) are to some degree concerned about lithium battery density per square foot, particularly when a garage can have both an EV and any number of solar batteries.

Even though the below are large systems local AHJ (and misinformed folks) and first responders are concerned about lithium battery density per square foot.

Here it is.

gp-la12-280ah-standard-12v-280ah-lifepo4-battery-1.jpg

Back