diy solar

diy solar

I'm charging my Li yard lights below freezing!

Many LiFePO4 cells can be safely charged below freezing.

It’s an internet myth that they can’t.
I don't think it's a myth.
I've read a reliable source explaining that there are actual physical, structural and chemical changes going on at low temps that work against charging and may cause a fire or permanent damage to the cells if you push it.
This is consistent with what @upnorthandpersonal is saying above.

I’ve attached the specs for the BYD Blade LiFePO4. Note the working temperatures.

Any decent LiFePO4 will be able to operate in frozen conditions - some cheap crappy ones may not.
Do you have the link that show full spec? I like to study it.
So far I cannot find full spec in English.

Last edited:
The real question you should be asking yourself is why you blindly believed someone saying you can’t charge LiFePO4 below freezing (which is clearly incorrect), and yet you have such trouble believing the correct fact that there is no issue with any quality LiFePO4 cell being charged well below freezing.
From day 1 of hearing about LiFePO₄ for the first time and every day since over the last two years all I have heard from any source is that LiFePO₄ can't be charged below freezing. Every battery spec sheet I had seen stated the min charge temperature is 0ºC. So yes, I had no reason to doubt what battery manufacturers and every other source that I've seen when they all say the same thing.

Then you made a claim out of the blue saying it's a myth. Since you made that statement with no evidence and since it was counter to everything I have ever seen beforehand I simply asked you point out such evidence. That's a fair request. I'm teachable. I asked for evidence so I can learn. I would hardly call that having "trouble believing the correct fact".

I have heard and read that charging LiFEPo4 below freezing is acceptable at very very low charge currents. But better to just assume you can't.

Li Ion is safer to charge below freezing, Lithium Titanate can go well below freezing and it is completely normal.

I wouldn't worry about it. In this case with a small light and teeny tiny solar panel.

Back