diy solar

diy solar

Importing Eve Cells into Australia

Mariner62

Hi Aussies,
I'm about to order 32x 280Ah cells and a couple of battery enclosures for delivery by sea from China to Australia. The freight quotes are based on either DAP or CIF. I suspect that I could end up paying customs fees, duty and GST on arrival. I've been held to ransom previously by customs agents demanding large sums for customs clearance etc.

I've heard that goods up to the value of A$1000 are not subject to duty etc, so individual shipments of 4x cells might be a cost-effective thing?

I would appreciate some advice from folks who have previously had cells delivered to Australia. What freight method did you use and what were the extra charges before arrival at your door?

Many thanks

I've heard that goods up to the value of A$1000 are not subject to duty etc, so individual shipments of 4x cells might be a cost-effective thing?
Given you'll have individual freight and clearance charges applied to each shipment, I kinda doubt it. And Customs look out for this sort of thing. 8 packages all the same arriving at the same time to the same purchaser?

GST is supposed to be collected on items under $1k but by the seller and remitted to the Tax Office (good luck with that ATO). Over $1k and the importer does the GST collection.

I suspect that I could end up paying customs fees, duty and GST on arrival.
You absolutely will pay the fees and GST. It's either that or no delivery.

Given you'll have individual freight and clearance charges applied to each shipment, I kinda doubt it. And Customs look out for this sort of thing. 8 packages all the same arriving at the same time to the same purchaser?

GST is supposed to be collected on items under $1k but by the seller and remitted to the Tax Office (good luck with that ATO). Over $1k and the importer does the GST collection.

You absolutely will pay the fees and GST. It's either that or no delivery.
Thanks wattmatters. You have confirmed what I suspected. Any experience/recommendations on the most cost effective freight method? DAP, CIF or ???

Hi Aussies,
I'm about to order 32x 280Ah cells and a couple of battery enclosures for delivery by sea from China to Australia. The freight quotes are based on either DAP or CIF. I suspect that I could end up paying customs fees, duty and GST on arrival. I've been held to ransom previously by customs agents demanding large sums for customs clearance etc.

I would appreciate some advice from folks who have previously had cells delivered to Australia. What freight method did you use and what were the extra charges before arrival at your door?

Many thanks
Who are you buying from? I have had two shipments of 4 cells plus BMS and there were no extra charge for GST or customs. Goods under $1000 are no longer GST free. Goods under $1000 and the seller collects and pays the GST, over $1000 and you pay.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Int...and-services/GST-on-low-value-imported-goods/

Hope that you have done your homework on whom to buy your cells from.

Last edited:
Who are you buying from? I have had two shipments of 4 cells plus BMS and there were no extra charge for GST or customs. Goods under $1000 are no longer GST free. Goods under $1000 and the seller collects and pays the GST, over $1000 and you pay.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Int...and-services/GST-on-low-value-imported-goods/

Hope that you have done your homework on whom to buy your cells from.g
Thanks Tim Tim,
Hopefully, my research on supplier is good. I'm buying from Amy Wan at Shenzhen Luyuan Technology Co. If it's just GST I need to pay then I have no problem with that. I'm just trying to make sure I understand what the "other" charges are going to be. I just have this foreboding that the Australian Border Force (those same nice guys who imprisoned us all for 18 months) who seem to be intimately involved in Customs these days will be dipping my pocket somewhere along the way.
Sounds like I just need to cross my fingers and roll the dice.

I'm just trying to make sure I understand what the "other" charges are going to be.
Unless you have specifically paid for it already at time of sale, you will likely have a custom's agent clearance change.This has nothing to do with Customs / Border Force, it's a processing/handling fee by the business which does the paper work and organises the local port collection etc.

That said, I can understand the nervousness around unknowns when importing goods from people you've never dealt with before.

Thanks Tim Tim,
Hopefully, my research on supplier is good. I'm buying from Amy Wan at Shenzhen Luyuan Technology Co. If it's just GST I need to pay then I have no problem with that. I'm just trying to make sure I understand what the "other" charges are going to be. I just have this foreboding that the Australian Border Force (those same nice guys who imprisoned us all for 18 months) who seem to be intimately involved in Customs these days will be dipping my pocket somewhere along the way.
Sounds like I just need to cross my fingers and roll the dice.
Ok, Amy is fantastic and you will get quality cells. When I purchased mine I am assuming that the GST was included in the shipping costs as there were no other costs involved after the purchase costs. I would just check with Amy that that the shipping costs are from door to door excluding GST and that no other costs are involved.

As Pierre said, Andy may be able to advise you. You may have to send him a beer though ?.

GST and other costs will be included. I have purchased my 3 battery sets and 2 inverters as different orders over the years. First 2 orders were still GST free but now the vendor has to charge it. Freight was always to my door and I've had no issues or extra costs.

i have 24x 302 CATL cells arriving in the next few weeks (hopefully anyway) from shenzen eel battery co (alibaba).
shipping to my door was around $500 aud iirc, but I also had to pay import feels which totaled $418, with a little cheating on the total order value, the shipping is being handled by a company called SCA Express.

Hey @Mariner62 , have you've received your cells ??
I have some cells inbound from Shenzhen Qishou Technology and I'm wondering what the average delivery time is, i got the link from @Off-Grid-Garage's website hoping it comes through cause i bought 96 of the 302ah cells

my shipment has gone something like this ...
27/09 - paid the money
10/10 - confirmed shipped
22/10 - put into boat in Nisha, china (close to shenzhen)
12/11 - ship arriving in melb
not sure how long the next steps will take, hopefully quick and I get them next week...
The import company sent me a bunch of documents to sign from which I could see what ship they were on, and track the ship using vesselfinder.com

I ordered two lots of cells from Amy last year. The first order was 16 280ah EVE cells, the value was well over $1000 so they held were up in Sydney and I had to pay brokerage and GST. I think it came to around $400.
The second order was 8 105ah cells which came in under $1000. I don't recall Amy collecting GST but maybe it was part of the cost. In any case they came to me directly and I did not have to pay any brokerage or GST above what I paid Amy.

Hey @Mariner62 , have you've received your cells ??
I have some cells inbound from Shenzhen Qishou Technology and I'm wondering what the average delivery time is, i got the link from @Off-Grid-Garage's website hoping it comes through cause i bought 96 of the 302ah cells
Not received yet. Amy quoted 50 days for delivery, so hopefully just a few more weeks!

I ordered two lots of cells from Amy last year. The first order was 16 280ah EVE cells, the value was well over $1000 so they held were up in Sydney and I had to pay brokerage and GST. I think it came to around $400.
The second order was 8 105ah cells which came in under $1000. I don't recall Amy collecting GST but maybe it was part of the cost. In any case they came to me directly and I did not have to pay any brokerage or GST above what I paid Amy.
If you read back through the posts you will see that is exactly how I explained the system works.

Back