diy solar

diy solar

Inverter alarm when battery is full - dont know what to do

cat

Hello! I faced an issue whith a new back up system (combo battery inverter - on main power) for a well pump (1,5 HP, 10 gpm). The well pump is the only load.

the inverter was set at 9...cv 50.25, no float...the battery was getting slowly charged no issue...(inverter on main, with priority to main).

however, at the moment the battery got full, the inverter alarm went off and I got a message that the inverter went in overload.

I tought that the invertor would go in floating mode? It appears the keep trying to charge the battery?

what should Indo?

battery is Renogy 48v, 50 amp
inverter is sigineer 48 v,6000 watts

In my mind here's what I imagine to be the way it should work. The inverter/charger should be passing the power from the mains to your pump. At the same time, the charger section should be charging the battery. When the battery gets charged, it should just stop charging and continue to pass the mains power to your pump (no inverter operation). The load should have dropped when the charging stopped (no overload).

In this case it seems like when the battery was charged, it switched from charging to inverting and overloaded. It could be possible that the BMS hit overvoltage and opened the circuit. Maybe the inverter/charger wasn't seeing the battery and went to default.

In my mind here's what I imagine to be the way it should work. The inverter/charger should be passing the power from the mains to your pump. At the same time, the charger section should be charging the battery. When the battery gets charged, it should just stop charging and continue to pass the mains power to your pump (no inverter operation). The load should have dropped when the charging stopped (no overload).

In this case it seems like when the battery was charged, it switched from charging to inverting and overloaded. It could be possible that the BMS hit overvoltage and opened the circuit. Maybe the inverter/charger wasn't seeing the battery and went to default.
Hello! Is it possible that the inverter needs a min oh one hour in boosting before going in float? (see the diagrams in the inverter manual!)

When the charging starts, it will hit the battery with constant current until the voltage hits the boost value, then it will charge at constant voltage (boost value) for a minimum of one hour before dropping to float.

I think that you should dial back the max charging current to 50%, so that it doesn't exceed the battery parameters. In your pump backup setup, you shouldn't need to recharge the battery too fast. How often does your power fail?

I think your battery would like setting #2 AGM1.

Thanks....the power fails for a few hours up to three days...almost monthly..so, not that much...so, agree with slow charging..

When the charging starts, it will hit the battery with constant current until the voltage hits the boost value, then it will charge at constant voltage (boost value) for a minimum of one hour before dropping to float.

I think that you should dial back the max charging current to 50%, so that it doesn't exceed the battery parameters. In your pump backup setup, you shouldn't need to recharge the battery too fast. How often does your power fail?

I think your battery would like setting #2 AGM1.
Hello! What is strange is that at the setting no 1, the inverter was nicely charging the battery at about 50,8 volt...and than, once the battery is full, the voltage of the inverter increase at 57, thus triggering the BMS of the battery. Itnisnlike the inverter was not able to recognize that the battery is full.

In the inverter manual, the charging diagram indicate a min of one hour in the absorption state. Since the battery is currently amlost completly charged...my tests never last more than a few minutes. Would it be the cause of the issue? Inverter need to be in the absorption state for a min of one hour, before going in floating?

Attachments

• IMG_1994.png
    IMG_1994.png
    689.9 KB · Views: 1
Your battery wants to be charged at 54V, which is lower than any of the profiles that you have available. I think your battery is going into overvoltage protection during the absorption time. If the inverter could skip the absorption phase and jump to the float voltage, your battery would be better.

I think when you saw the voltage increase to 57V is when the battery went into protection mode. You might need to turn off charging once the battery is full and turn it back on after the next power outage, or come up with a separate 54V charger for the battery.

Your battery wants to be charged at 54V, which is lower than any of the profiles that you have available. I think your battery is going into overvoltage protection during the absorption time. If the inverter could skip the absorption phase and jump to the float voltage, your battery would be better.

I think when you saw the voltage increase to 57V is when the battery went into protection mode. You might need to turn off charging once the battery is full and turn it back on after the next power outage, or come up with a separate 54V charger for the battery.
https://www.amazon.ca/Power-CON120AC3648VDC-Converter-Battery-Charger/dp/B08KKNK4L9

hello! would I be able to use the aims 48 v charger with my 48 v 60 amp renogy battery?

and attached it permanently to the battery allong with my sinigeer inverter?

Sigineer inverter is set at using main as priority ac input and battery as back up (and set at not charging the battery)

battery charger and inverter would be plugged in the same main.

thanks again for the good advice!

The AIMS is a good unit. I have the 12V version. It can be permanently attached to maintain the battery charge. I think with your battery, the GEL setting may be better. The LiFePO4 setting with 57.6V may push the battery to overvoltage, the GEL 55.2V should work. Your battery likes 54V floating.

The AIMS is a good unit. I have the 12V version. It can be permanently attached to maintain the battery charge. I think with your battery, the GEL setting may be better. The LiFePO4 setting with 57.6V may push the battery to overvoltage, the GEL 55.2V should work. Your battery likes 54V floating.
Thanks, can I put the inverter and the battery charger wires together on the battery terminales? Or if theres a Hub that is required?

diy solar

diy solar
Back