diy solar

diy solar

Inverter and shore to AC outlet

MrNatural22

?SW sunshine =⚡️⚡️lit up thru the darkness✌️
For you helpful electricians? Question on supplying AC to a single AC outlet. I am installing shore power into my cargo trailer project to a couple AC outlets via a two 15amp breaker panel one for each outlet. I also have a 1500w pure sine inverter on board. I would like to use one of the AC outlets to supply shore or inverter power when outdoors. Can both be connected to this 1 outlet just not at the same time unless inverter is off. I know they’ll be no shared connection when Shore is not connected, only inverter.
My question is with the inverter switched off and shore plugged in will the shore power back feed into the inverter from this shared outlet causing damage?
If so should a clearly marked safety switch disconnecting the inverter be used when on shore power? ⚡⚡⚡️ Or maybe a separate dedicated outlet for the inverter only?

Last edited:
What you need and want is a transfer switch that will disconnect the plug from shore power and connect it to the inverter, and vice versa.
You really dont want to have any POSSIBILITY to connect both shore and inverter at the same time. that could dammage the inverter if you backfeed it, and it will make the shore plug live, and that is dangerous.
It can be as simple as a three way switch wire in such a way that you can chose between shore or inverter for that plug,

Thanks Pierreco, great point! And your right, I didnt think about the shore power plug being energized? Not good. So after looking at it I am simply going to install a separate 120v outlet dedicated to the inverter. I’m thinking a good idea might be a common 2-4 outlet power strip with its own built in 15amp breaker for further safety. ✌️It’s a relatively small cargo trailer conversion (12’x6’) so three outlets would be plenty.

Plan to build the "Complete LiFePO4 Solar Battery System Design" system into my Transit and I'm going to use flexible panels velcro'd to the roof...

Since I need to run an Air Conditioner I need a lot of battery and also to quick charge while driving is important. I'm deciding about how to interconnect this system to the factory heavy duty charging system and saw the Renogy DC to DC charger... and I think it is pretty okay, just wish I could series the solar panels tho.

That brings me to the primary remaining challenge, how to switch the solar to Shore power into the system to charge and run everything. Whats the best way... Any ideas on if the all in one Renogy will be easier to add the shore power interconnection/fail over or modular is better and in either case I'd like to keep the engine charging system in the set-up too.

Cheers

Look up "inverter/charger" when plugged in to shore power it'll supply your loads while charging batteries, and when unplugged from shore it's internal transfer switich will changeover to using your batteries to supply you loads. They're made for just this situation and very common.

Look up "inverter/charger" when plugged in to shore power it'll supply your loads while charging batteries, and when unplugged from shore it's internal transfer switich will changeover to using your batteries to supply you loads. They're made for just this situation and very common.
yeah.... I second that. I'm using an Aims 2500 watt inverter / charger that automatically switches everything to shore power when I plug in. That said, I have a dedicated circuit straight from shore power for my air conditioner. I didn't want anyone to be able to accidentally turn the air on and drain the battery.

diy solar

diy solar
Back