diy solar

diy solar

Cutting shore power wires to add plug for battery bank

mojo43

Hello, I have a trailer with a shore power inlet. I would like to be able switch between shore power and a Bluetti AC200 Max for AC power. I was thinking of cutting the wires after the shore power inlet and the fuse box and adding a female plug on the shore power side and a male plug into the one that goes into the fuse box. This way I could plug my Bluetti into the fuse box to supply power when I need it. This would all be done in the trailer. Do I need to add a box? These are the plugs I was intending to use.

Thanks in advance!

When you cut the wire from the inlet to the panel.... the proper thing to do is install a transfer switch. Add a second inlet to the Bluetti.

Of course if the Bluetti can sit outside, a simple adapter from Amazon works fine. Bluetti goes direct to the existing inlet.

Thanks for the reply. What could happen if I just put the plug in? Also could you point me in the right direction for a transfer switch? I did a quick Google search but it seems like all the transfer switches are pretty massive. This is something that would have to fit in a very small place since the trailer is tiny.

If you want to switch manually so to speak and use the amazon plugs inside a compartment that is fine.
Attach a male plug to the main feed wire to the panel and a female connector to the other side that connects to the inlet.
Attach a second female connector to a cord that plugs into the Bluetti.

Just make sure you do not have a "Male" (read prongs exposed) plug/connection that has any power applied whether from the breaker box or a source.

Depending on what you can do with the trailer fuse box you could add a second "input" breaker for the "Bluetti AC200" that is interlocked with the "Shore Power Breaker" such than only one breaker can be closed.

Thank you for all the responses! Just to clarify... "Inside a compartment" means in the trailer itself? Just wanted to make sure it wasn't an electronic compartment of some kind?

Y'all are scary.

Please do note that this forum is not a substitute for a licensed electrician. You are responsible for verifying the accuracy of advise given, and verifying that it meets the applicable codes and requirements for your jurisdiction.

Back