diy solar

diy solar

Iota DLS-30 M Series with IQ LifePo smart charge controller - Switches to Float mode after 15 minutes.

MT_Mike

Just took delivery of an Iota DLS-30 M Series(no internal IQ module) and the plug-in IQ Lifepo charge controller. I connected the charger up to a new out-of-the box SOK 100AH 12V Lipo4 battery which measured 13VDC. No load the charger measured 14.8 VDC. Connected to the battery the Iota charger went into bulk charging at a measured 29 amps @13.65VDC for approximately 15 minutes and than switched to a 9 amp @ 13.32VDC float charge. I thought this was a bit strange so I unplugged the charger and disconnected the battery and then connected and repowered the charger. Same result: Bulk charge for 15minutes (IQ module flashing) then float charge of 9 amps with IQ module LED lit solid. The charger is switching to float mode after 15 minutes instead of staying in bulk mode until the high trigger voltage of 14.6 volts is reached. I plan to call Iota customer support Monday morning. I purchased the Iota charger as the Aims adjustable 75amp charger appears to be on back order at suppliers. I purchased on Amazon so I should be able to return. Any assistance or suggestions much appreciated.

Did you happen to measure the voltage at the converter output? If the wire is too long and too thin the converter voltage could hover well above battery voltage.

Your dls-30 probably came with a "boost-pendant" it just loops pin 1 to pin 3.
As long as that is inserted into the rj-9 socket the charger should output ~14.6 volts constant current constant voltage.
If that works as described then the problem is with the IQ module.

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.

Update on this issue:
Wiring is all #6 AWG stranded copper at approximate 2 feet in length so there is minimal voltage drop between battery and charger. I did try the boost jumper and batter output jumped to over 14VDC.

I decided to try a third time with IQ Lifepo charge controller plugged in and left the charger on. After 15 minutes the charger switched from Bulk to Float. 30 minutes later I checked and the charger was charging in Bulk mode and the voltage was slowly approaching the 14.6 VDC trigger voltage. Approaching 14.6 the charge current was also dropping off. At 14.6V the charger was still in bulk mode but at a reduced current output for approximately 15 minutes at which the charger switched to float mode with no current being provided. I disconnected the charger and the battery measured 13.6 volts indicating full charge.

Next I tested the battery by using 4 AWG cables to a 1500/3000w inverter powering a 120VAC heat gun set to draw 50A from the battery. Two hours and 15 minutes later the inverter's low input voltage trip detection turn the unit off and battery voltage measured 10.5VDC indicating a nearly discharged battery. I turned the Iota charger back on and it operated in bulk charging mode for 3 hours and 10 minute and correctly shut down charging after the trigger voltage of 14.6VDC was reached. At this point it appears to be charging correctly. I will perform a few more 50% -70% discharge and recharge cycles on the SOK 100AH battery before putting this system into use in a camp trailer. Since I plan to have two SOK batteries in the camper I will be looking for a 45-55 amp charger. Not sure if I will buy another Iota charger when I add the 2nd SOK battery.

I have the IOTA DLS-55 with the IQ-LiFePO4 module. I started a discussion on the charge profile of the IQ module last year and there isn't a lot of confidence in the IOTA IQ charge profile. At least based on what IOTA has published. Your results appear to squash all those concerns and make the IQ module look pretty good.

I have seen some strange stuff with my converter. After turning on 110Vac, the volts/amps looks quite low. I disconnected the converter from the battery and 110Vac source for a couple minutes and then reconnected. After that, the volt/amps were what I expected. I don't use the converter than much to charge my LiFePO4 battery bank so I'm not that worried about.

Anyhow, thanks for your post.

Hi Jim,

I also read your posts and replies on the IOTA DLS-55 issue. Interesting behavior of the DLS-55 you have noted.

I think I will set up and test/simulate my typical camping scenario where I will run off of battery for 2 days with lights, ham radios, and nightly use of C-PAP (3AH x 7-8 hours) which will draw the SOK battery down 50AH-70AH and then plug the charger into AC simulating firing up the generator and evaluate how the IOTA DLS-30 responds with the two stage bulk/float charge cycle. I will test with a 2KW generator as well to determine if there is any loss of charging capacity with the DLS-30. Normally while camping I run a 200w solar system and occasionally need to run a generator if camped where sunlight for solar is minimal.

An additional test will be to have DLS-30 connected to the battery with a full charge (DLS-30 in float mode) as well as my inverter connected. I will start and run the heat gun to draw 50-70 amps and measure current from both battery and the DLS assuming the DLS will drop out of float and provide full Bulk amps when the IQ-lipo module low trigger voltage of 12.8 volts is detected.

I did call IOTA customer service yesterday to confirm the DLS 120 minute Bulk charging time and the tech confirmed this is "as designed" and there is not a way for a user to increase the duration.

With the 120 minute Bulk charge time limitation I am not sure upgrading my system to a DLS-55 with IQ-lifpo module is going to work optimally to fully charge two parallel connected SOK 100AH batteries when each battery is drawn down past the 50%. However if charging only to 80% or 90% during 3-4 hours of shore power or generator time I doubt I would notice the difference between an 80% charged system in actual day-day use compared to using two deep cycle lead acid batteries.

Regards,
Mike

Back