diy solar

diy solar

Is a 220ah in a small package a worthy battery?

Redbud

Just Relax
I found a battery of over 200ah capacity rating but in a package normally only used for 100ah batteries. It would be the perfect size both physically and in capacity for me if it can be trusted? There are very few reviews for this battery/seller. It also appears they offer a 300ah in the small case. 13.7 x 7.6 x 9.8

NewtiPower, 12V 220Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery Built-in 250A BMS.

Link --> Battery on Amazon

Any advice welcome,
Randy
NewtiPower-s.jpg

I found a battery of over 200ah capacity rating but in a package normally only used for 100ah batteries. It would be the perfect size both physically and in capacity for me if it can be trusted? There are very few reviews for this battery/seller. It also appears they offer a 300ah in the small case. 13.7 x 7.6 x 9.8

NewtiPower, 12V 220Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery Built-in 250A BMS.

Link --> Battery on Amazon

Any advice welcome,
Randy
View attachment 136906
Someone else at Amazon wanted to know how they packaged it in such a small package too. edit: Oh. and it comes with a charger!?

Question:

Are the dimensions correct for all size ah batteries? for example: are the 300 and the 200 ah batteries really 13.7" x 7.6" x 9.8" each?

Answer:

Hello Darren,
Thank you very much for your attention on NewtiPower 12V 300Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery!
You are a very careful person and read very carefully!
As you can see, our 12V 120Ah, 12V 240Ah and 12V 300Ah are all the same size: 13.7 "x 7.6" x 9.8 ".
We solved the problem of product size perfectly at the beginning of product design. The external dimensions are the same, BUT the cell size, BMS, battery weight and battery capacity used inside are completely different.
Our product capacity and quality are true and reliable, so you can buy with confidence.
We want to tell you that we will provide after-sales service throughout the battery life cycle. If the battery is abnormal for non-human reasons, we support free return and replacement. Within one month from the date of purchase, you can enjoy the refund of return without any reason.
Thank you again for your attention to NewtiPower, and hope this answer will help you.
If you have any questions, please contact our support team in time,we will deal with it as soon as possible.
Thank you very much!
-By NewtiPower Support Team see less
By NewtiPower US Seller on October 26, 2022

Someone else at Amazon wanted to know how they packaged it in such a small package too. edit: Oh. and it comes with a charger!?

Question:

Are the dimensions correct for all size ah batteries? for example: are the 300 and the 200 ah batteries really 13.7" x 7.6" x 9.8" each?

Answer:

Hello Darren,
Thank you very much for your attention on NewtiPower 12V 300Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery!
You are a very careful person and read very carefully!
As you can see, our 12V 120Ah, 12V 240Ah and 12V 300Ah are all the same size: 13.7 "x 7.6" x 9.8 ".
We solved the problem of product size perfectly at the beginning of product design. The external dimensions are the same, BUT the cell size, BMS, battery weight and battery capacity used inside are completely different.
Our product capacity and quality are true and reliable, so you can buy with confidence.
We want to tell you that we will provide after-sales service throughout the battery life cycle. If the battery is abnormal for non-human reasons, we support free return and replacement. Within one month from the date of purchase, you can enjoy the refund of return without any reason.
Thank you again for your attention to NewtiPower, and hope this answer will help you.
If you have any questions, please contact our support team in time,we will deal with it as soon as possible.
Thank you very much!
-By NewtiPower Support Team see less
By NewtiPower US Seller on October 26, 2022
Yes I saw that response from the seller. However I don't trust most of what is in the reply from a seller.

Also note to anyone looking at this battery is that you will have a hard time finding a battery box that this battery will fit in. It is just a bit too large for the group 31 bat box.

Randy

I think it's possible. If you watch teardowns regularly you'll notice that there seems to be a LOT of air space and foam in there along with a GIANT BMS that just wastes space.

I've always wondered why batteries have so much space inside when DIY batteries are so much more compact.

Next thing to check is whether they claim different weight for each or not. I built a DIY 12V battery out of LF280Ks, and it's just a bit larger in most dimensions than that, and has some spare volume that could have been done away with if I'd really wanted to. The 300Ah one should be around 60lbs and chock full of cells if it's honest. If dishonest, either less weight, or small cells and rocks.

Next thing to check is whether they claim different weight for each or not. I built a DIY 12V battery out of LF280Ks, and it's just a bit larger in most dimensions than that, and has some spare volume that could have been done away with if I'd really wanted to. The 300Ah one should be around 60lbs and chock full of cells if it's honest. If dishonest, either less weight, or small cells and rocks.
What is the cycle life of the included rocks?

According to the page the weights look about right.

6e1955b9-c912-4550-92b7-dd117d4cdbd2.__CR0,0,300,400_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

Apparently,
Eco Worthy has a battery of similar dimensions and rating. (Note: their '6000' cycles is for a DOD of 50%)

EcoWorthy.jpg

I too am interested in these batteries. Good price and they claim Grade A batteries. Has anyone bought these yet and tested them?

I just bought some of the 12v 280ah newtipower batts which are currently $599 on amazon and have a very small form factor for the capacity. Im out of town right now so cant try anything with them yet, and then going out of town next week again
so may not even have time to mess with them this week but we’ll see. There IS one review on the amazon listing of someone who did a capacity test on a 280ah and got 3400wh at like 11.2v which is not a ‘full sweep’ but correlates pretty much to full capacity. Close enough for me if i got 3400wh to cutoff so im not particularly worried, but we shall see!

Wish I had seen these earlier. Just installed Powerurus 200Ah into a small camp trailer and it’s a tight fit for the space I had. The thing is huge, 20” long.

But without a tear down video from someone like @Will Prowse , I wouldn’t want to take the risk on something that might be really poor build quality inside. If I had to guess though, it’s probably pretty good for the price since they bothered to build a reasonably sized 240ah battery. Putting that much thought into size and form factor might suggest they aren’t cutting other corners with crappy wiring and connections. But that’s purely a guess. A tear down would be awesome.

Wish I had seen these earlier. Just installed Powerurus 200Ah into a small camp trailer and it’s a tight fit for the space I had. The thing is huge, 20” long.

But without a tear down video from someone like @Will Prowse , I wouldn’t want to take the risk on something that might be really poor build quality inside. If I had to guess though, it’s probably pretty good for the price since they bothered to build a reasonably sized 240ah battery. Putting that much thought into size and form factor might suggest they aren’t cutting other corners with crappy wiring and connections. But that’s purely a guess. A tear down would be awesome.
I'm suspecting it's a combination of pouch cells and a lack of 3" of foam on every side that's doing the heavy lifting in size reduction. Watch any old teardown of a LFP battery and there's always sooooo much wasted space on every side.

Yeah, my assumption is its packed solid with pouch cells. However, i dont plan to tear into them unless one both has a big issue AND i somehow get screwed on amazon exchange and warranty.. so i consider it a slim chance a teardown will be forthcoming from me personally.

Yeah, my assumption is its packed solid with pouch cells. However, i dont plan to tear into them unless one both has a big issue AND i somehow get screwed on amazon exchange and warranty.. so i consider it a slim chance a teardown will be forthcoming from me personally.
Plus the risk of puncturing something would be much greater in such a tight package.

Chances are that it simply isn't what they say. Look at the Dewalt knockoff batteries. They say they are the same ah, but somehow are smaller. And guess what, they don't last nearly as long.

The ‘going rate’ for a prebuilt 12v 100ah lifepo4 is basically $300 (although there are outliers as low as $250 and i once bought one for $200).

Anyway, if you think of a $599 280ah as being the same price as 200ah worth of those, i would find it acceptable if it either:
  • has over 200ah of capacity.
  • lasts as long as 2 typical 100ah batteries from a more trusted source, if cycled equivalently (ie only take 200ah or less out of it).
If it does one of those things id be ‘ok’, but i do think theres a decent chance it will do both. Time will tell!

Prime Day deal right now on this battery with quoted 280AH and 150A BMS for $289! I was about to order a 100AH battery for more than that!!

I had to order one although the product info is all over the place there is a 30 day return privilege so we shall see what actually arrives next week.

Oh - and it comes with a charger!

From Amazon: "Please contact the seller directly for warranty information for this product. You may also be able to find warranty information on the manufacturer’s website". I couldn't find a website for NewtiPower.

If it looks too good to be true:

Thank you very much for purchasing NewtiPower 12V 100Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery!
We have updated this listing to a 12V 100Ah battery. As the system has not been updated in a timely manner, the customer may be seeing a 12V 280Ah battery. It is expected that the system will successfully update the information of the new 12V 100Ah battery within 5 hours.
The purchased battery at this price is 12V 100Ah.
The purpose of sending this email is to confirm with you whether you need the discounted 12V 100Ah battery?
If necessary, we will arrange shipment as soon as possible. If not, please cancel the order.
Looking forward to your reply!
We are so sorry to bother you, thank you for your understanding and support!
Sincerely,
-By NewtiPower Support Team

Not gonna lie, i was about to be real mad lol. I mean i would have just returned mine and reordered for half price if they didnt just want to refund me the difference, but still a hassle im glad wasnt even real. ~$285 for the small form 100ah aint bad but its still just the bottom end of ‘normal’ from what i currently see.

diy solar

diy solar
Back