diy solar

diy solar

Is Idaho Power ripping me off?

TeslaJerk

I had solar for a few years but this year Idaho switched to Real Time Billing and it screwed everything up. The report below is when I had the net-metering. I trusted the power company that they would track my usage and power generation accurately. I finally got off the couch and looked at all the reports for my power company and SolarEdge.

I took what Idaho Power says I generated and what SolarEdge says I generated and there is massive difference between the reports. The log file from Idaho Power looks like this which looks like they are able to calculate the total usage I would have used, my own generated power from solar, and the net usage.

What do you guys think? Is Idaho Power ripping me off or I screwed up the report?

1719005794844.png
1719005809000.png

Last edited:
So your SolarEdge power is consumed by the house and only if there is extra would it be exported and seen by the power company.

The difference between the red and blue lines of your graph is the house using energy and is very normal.

If you can hone in on the 6/2/23 date, do the lines intersect like we would expect? Interesting graph in any event.

Home consumption might be it. I think I am denial how much energy my house uses since it's a starter home. However I have an EV and I converted to electric hybrid water heater and electric stove/oven so those would use a lot of power.

Install an Emporia to measure your consumption.

Stove and oven use a lot of power but pretty low energy.

HPWH is 500W during recovery so maybe 6kwh per day.

EV is by far the heavy hitter there, since it is .3 kWh/mile for highway driving on crossover style EVs.

I just bought Emporia and and I can't wait to install it. It will be nice to determine how much the house is using vs how much I'm sending to the grid.

I have some weird energy uses that I need to troubleshoot. For example starting at 6am I have something is that is using 6kwh.

I just bought Emporia and and I can't wait to install it. It will be nice to determine how much the house is using vs how much I'm sending to the grid.

I have some weird energy uses that I need to troubleshoot. For example starting at 6am I have something is that is using 6kwh.
Sounds like it could be a water heater, but measure and you'll know for sure

diy solar

diy solar
Back