diy solar

diy solar

Is it morally wrong to marry your SCC? Victron MPPT RS 450/200

Retired LE so totally get it.. we all love the "Evidence Eradication Team" members (for those not in the know, that's the team that rolls up in the big red trucks, sprays all your evidence into the next county and while standing there with water dripping from their nozzles, asks, "How can we help?". :ROFLMAO: Before noticing your glare and slowly returning to the recliners in said red trucks and slowly backing out.. beep beep beep. Firemen never retire, they just get a bigger recliner.
Hahaha! Guilty as charged! Put the wet stuff on the red stuff, that's all we know!

Good idea re practicing with them..... I learned VERY quickly after moving onto this 65 acres how much quicker a garbage fire starts when using gasoline vs diesel.... who'd a thunk... i'm sure the brows'll grow back in eventually.

That's hot.

I'm still torn between multiple sccs for redundancy or one unit for simplicity.

Probably a wash in the end.
oh oh oh... or buy one like this one then you'll have one, but also four.. hahaha... get it? oh come on..... it wasn't that bad.. :cry:

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm one of the guys with all SMA stuff, so big bucks.
I have multiple arrays of different orientations on single MPPT inputs.
I was curious if that would work as good as pure separate trackers but I heard you can do it and I heard you can't so wasn't 100% confident trying it.... when the sun goes down in the evening the east facing is in pure shadow while the west has good sun for quite a while... you don't notice much impact?

WHUT???

No comments on the four almost shorted PV lines, from the factory... sigh.... :)

Yeah, those are lame. Supposed to be high end gear.

BTW, loved seeing the count! Except I think he goes "ah ah ah". :unsure:

WELL HOT DIGGITY DAMN!!!! It IS a 4 PV string SCC after all... SHWIIIIINNNNNNG....
To answer your original question, yes it is morally wrong to marry your scc. BUT, you can marry me, and I'll be fine with having the scc around. Its power will not intimidate me.

About 10kW total output (12kW into 60V) and 7.2 kW PV on each of 4 inputs.
Do you know how many watts it can actually process on a given input?
Having some headroom there is handy to over-panel with multiple angles, where actual production is within its 200A output limit.
.... and that's if I only have one, don't stack them like the spec sheet says I can do by adding 24 more.....brouhaha (insert evil laugh sound here).

1629858338224.png

Yeah, those are lame. Supposed to be high end gear.

BTW, loved seeing the count! Except I think he goes "ah ah ah". :unsure:
Fixed it but now some young'un's gonna say "why is that vampire saying Amp Hour, Amp Hour Amp Hour.... LOL Hopefully the all caps will mitigate that happening at least to a point.

How is the marriage going? Happy with that Victron 450/200? I'm thinking seriously of trying to get my hands on one and a Multiplus II for a new system.

How is the marriage going? Happy with that Victron 450/200? I'm thinking seriously of trying to get my hands on one and a Multiplus II for a new system.
Great investment but if you're a victron ecosystem it's your only option for over 250vdc on one string but yea I love it.

Is this UL listed? Thinking about home insurance implications.
Don't know, don't care... Google it or contact Vicron, or look at the product page, or check with the hundreds of retailers or read the manual... or join the community.victron.com site

Don't know, don't care... Google it or contact Vicron, or look at the product page, or check with the hundreds of retailers or read the manual... or join the community.victron.com site

The places I have looked at didn't show UL/ETL/other certifications. Most house insurance policies require certified hardware if you have a claim on your house for a fire or similar damage.

probably not certified yet but most likely will be, all the rest of their usa sold gear is ul certified.
what places are you lookin at? Its on thier website under downloads . Last certification was December 2020 on their site.
i bet covid has a backlog?

Back