diy solar

diy solar

Is it morally wrong to marry your SCC? Victron MPPT RS 450/200

Jennifer

WOWZA.... I think I just met my future life partner...... I ordered this for the following project ( https://diysolarforum.com/threads/b...-angle-of-the-dangle.22325/page-2#post-294377 ) as I wanted high VDC and the fact it had 2...
1629839554138.png AH AH AH, COUNT THEM... TWO.....PV INPUTS
(dang it, why does that always happen) independent high VDC on each string PV inputs, one for each side of the roof, Morning/East and evening/West), well this one was to have (the above mentioned number, don't say it Jennifer)... separate trackers, UNLIKE the Schneider 600 that says "ooooh laddddeeeee daaaaaaa, we have 23 PV inputs" then just combines them inside the case... However... upon review it looks like this one has 4 (BOOOOM THUNDER CLASH) FLASH of lightning....

1629839940177.png FOUR.... COUNT THEM... FOUR AH AH AH.... PV INPUTS.....

(face palm, are you done Count?)

Appears to have (the number the count said) PV inputs.. so I'll have to research... but I digress...

Here you go kittens... I had to promise naughty favors as it appears I may have the only one on USSA soil so I hope you enjoy..... I give to you... the chest ripped open exposing the sexy soul of the latest thing in SCC's......

Jen/Count (apparently)

IMG_0449.jpeg

IMG_0458 (2).jpeg

IMG_0456 (2).jpegIMG_0454 (2).jpegIMG_0452 (2).jpegIMG_0451 (2).jpegIMG_0450 (2).jpeg

Last edited:
WELL HOT DIGGITY DAMN!!!! It IS a 4 PV string SCC after all... SHWIIIIINNNNNNG.

I didn't even notice that when I ordered it... woo hooo... now I can put panels on the north and south side as well.. woo hooo...lol

Jen

1629849074040.png

About 10kW total output (12kW into 60V) and 7.2 kW PV on each of 4 inputs.
Do you know how many watts it can actually process on a given input?
Having some headroom there is handy to over-panel with multiple angles, where actual production is within its 200A output limit.

Looks expensive. You will have to be careful to protect your investment. No reverse connections even if Victrons are said to always have protections.
I'm envious but I think I'll stay with my $10 pwms from China even if I need a few to run the dishwasher.

€1.859,00

If the dollar wasn't so weak ...

Here it is in dollars

$2,062.22

That's for about 10kW to 12kW of PV to DC, and integration with a system.
For comparison, 7.7 kW Sunny Boy (PV to AC) runs around $1800. OK, a bit more from one source:

$2,200.00

Midnight for about 5kW to 6kW is around $900. No, a bit less

$678.33

$678.33
X 4, let's compare apples to apples shall we, seems I'm getting a deal, this as mentioned has 4 independent SCC's but I'm not going to get into a urinary olympics about it's price or try to justify that amount, it's not why I shared the photos, it's to give people an opportunity to see inside a unit that is new and not much info out there about... YOU'RE WELCOME for that....

When people buy equipment they do it based on their need, the problems it solves, it's ability to integrate into existing infrastructure, amount it's saving over other options etc...

That said..yea, it's not cheap... but neither is building 4 separate ones, separate cables ect ect etc.... and when you're building an off grid homestead, it's all an investment in your future.

The best part about being single is that I can buy off the only other guilty look directed at me in my home with $1.00 stuffed toy from Family Dollar.

1629853891871.png

Last edited:
It is illegal in many states to marry your charge controller. I don't personally find it immoral. In fact, I understand the urge completely.

BUT - You may want a prenuptial based on performance and how hot it is. Even better, date for a while in case something better comes along...

BTW, glad to see I am not the only one with 5# extinguishers scattered about.

Yeah, I'm one of the guys with all SMA stuff, so big bucks.
I have multiple arrays of different orientations on single MPPT inputs.

If this Victron has each of four MPPT able to handle anywhere near the 7200W of PV it says can be connected, that would allow panels of different orientations to each have their own MPPT, and produce near 10 kW for several hours of the day. I wasn't able to confirm from the data sheet, but with 28800W of PV allowed to be connected, seems likely.

What I do like about Victron is SCC output can be commanded to hit a target charge current as measured by a shunt. What I haven't heard is if the system can adjust that current based on battery temperature, which would allow max safe charging of lithium under varying conditions.

My problem is I never get to use them. Eventually I buy another to make sure there will be a good one if I ever need it.

I used to select Halotron for work lab, but then I met a Clean Guard and bought that for home. Effective concentration is lower than LC50 rather than higher, so it seemed easier to live with.

That's hot.

I'm still torn between multiple sccs for redundancy or one unit for simplicity.

Probably a wash in the end.

€1.859,00

If the dollar wasn't so weak ...

Here it is in dollars

$2,062.22

That's for about 10kW to 12kW of PV to DC, and integration with a system.
For comparison, 7.7 kW Sunny Boy (PV to AC) runs around $1800. OK, a bit more from one source:

$2,200.00

$678.33

It is illegal in many states to marry your charge controller. I don't personally find it immoral. In fact, I understand the urge completely.

BUT - You may want a prenuptial based on performance and how hot it is. Even better, date for a while in case something better comes along...

The only thing better than a 5# is a 10#, and they're like guns, you can never have enough, especially when you plan to run Tesla modules.. LOL I also live 100% off grid and the only fire service we have is volunteer who only seem to come out the one day a year I try to burn trash without applying for a burn permit... GRRRRRR (waving my paw in the error).

Good idea re dating, good tip.... Problem is I can already tell it just wants to get into my shorts.. get it,... HA shorts.. I kill me....... :)

Last edited:
That's hot.

I'm still torn between multiple sccs for redundancy or one unit for simplicity.

Probably a wash in the end.
Start with one and then buy a matching..... if you're running Victrons, all using Victron Connect via Bluetooth, it doesn't get much simpler.

Oh come on guys... I expected so much better..... ;)

How come no one has noticed the fatal flaw I see in those photos, the proverbial "Elephtant in the room"? Easily fixable but could cause an issue..... especially at the 450VDC PV in.. oh there's a hint... look at the photos again..

Last edited:
Ok... done waiting... this is a bit "shocking" to see...( HA.. there, I did it again.. what a hoot) to see...

Can we say Arcy Sparky Chafie Wafie.... obviously not intended for a mobile or vibratory environment.

Time to get that Philips out and do some adjusting..... crazy, there's lots of room on the right, they could have come off at at least a 45.

1629855770679.png

Last edited:
Start with one and then buy a matching..... if you're running Victrons, all using Victron Connect via Bluetooth, it doesn't get much simpler.
Yeah, but instead of having a backup doing nothing I can have two running and if one does die over still got 50%.

And the cost isn't that far off vs just upgrading to an all in one or something like that.

Victron was real careful about pricing like that lol

My problem is I never get to use them. Eventually I buy another to make sure there will be a good one if I ever need it.
Be glad you don't have to use 'em. You can take them in to be recharged, no need to replace. Better yet, do some practice with them. Get a nice size container, cut down 50 gallon drum or better yet something square and larger. Put water and a mix of diesel and just enough gas for it to get going. You might be surprised at how much technique it can take with a larger square or rectangle. I used to teach that as part of CERT (community emergency response team) training. Then after you have fun, get 'em refilled. It costs the same whether or not you have emptied them.

Be glad you don't have to use 'em. You can take them in to be recharged, no need to replace. Better yet, do some practice with them. Get a nice size container, cut down 50 gallon drum or better yet something square and larger. Put water and a mix of diesel and just enough gas for it to get going. You might be surprised at how much technique it can take with a larger square or rectangle. I used to teach that as part of CERT (community emergency response team) training. Then after you have fun, get 'em refilled. It costs the same whether or not you have emptied them.
Wrong forum soldier.. LOL ? (kidding)

Yeah, you can retire but you are a firefighter for life. It just slips out sometimes!
Retired LE so totally get it.. we all love the "Evidence Eradication Team" members (for those not in the know, that's the team that rolls up in the big red trucks, sprays all your evidence into the next county and while standing there with water dripping from their nozzles, asks, "How can we help?". :ROFLMAO: Before noticing your glare and slowly returning to the recliners in said red trucks and slowly backing out.. beep beep beep. Firemen never retire, they just get a bigger recliner.

OH HA!!!!! the glad you don't have to use them, you were talking about the extinguishers... hahaha OMG.. I thought you were joking about the charge controllers and making a gun analogy, I must have sounded super rude to you, i'm sorry.. dang I need to get out more often... it's been so long since I've seen another creature that doesn't bark it's affecting my sharpness.

Last edited:
Back