diy solar

diy solar

Is it OK to wire my sub panel circuits and outlets directly from my inverter?

wired1

Hi All, I have a EG4 3KW inverter that is fed by a 30 amp breaker from my main panel and also a 48 volt 200AH battery bank. It is feeding a critical load panel, with grid first, battery second and solar (yet to instal) 3rd.

I did it this way as I'm not always present when we have an outage which happens very frequently. My sister wants me to do this for her house and is wondering if it's a "Legal" way to do things? She's worried about insurance is anything "goes south"?

I do have breakers installed between the batteries and also a disconnect before th sub panel. Any problem with the way I've done this? I do want to somehow connect a small generator if the grid is down for an extended period. Perhaps I'll install a breaker between the grid and a generator if I need to run the generator.

Thanks for any insights.

The 3KW being 120v limits things.

Generally if your sister is concerned about everything being legal that would mean permits, and it might be hard to get an EG4 3K through a permit process. Your sister might just want to stick with a generator interlock and generator.

Generally if your sister is concerned about everything being legal that would mean permits, and it might be hard to get an EG4 3K through a permit process. Your sister might just want to stick with a generator interlock and generator.
I am aware of the limits, but we are only trying to protect her food and give her internet, a light and power her steam oil fired boiler. She knows she can always double and add another EG4

Also, I wonder, does she need a permit to simply connect a generator to an extension cord to keep her fridge or any other item running??

Also, I wonder, does she need a permit to simply connect a generator to an extension cord to keep her fridge or any other item running??
Not if she goes an unplugs the fridge to plug it into an extension cord that runs outside to a portable generator. That's the simplest way to keep a fridge going during an outage and that was my first backup system.

Permanently installed inverters and batteries not listed to UL9540 or to IRC standards for where they’re supposed to be placed within a residence could theoretically cause some insurance woes.

I don’t think there have been enough cases of this for us to know. At least, nobody’s posted about it here, thankfully (since that would sadly require someone to suffer a loss)

Permanently installed inverters and batteries not listed to UL9540 or to IRC standards for where they’re supposed to be placed within a residence could theoretically cause some insurance woes.

I don’t think there have been enough cases of this for us to know. At least, nobody’s posted about it here, thankfully (since that would sadly require someone to suffer a loss)
So, would the inverter and battery connected to a cart like this also be considered "Permanent". https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/mobile-48v-system.html

So, would the inverter and battery connected to a cart like this also be considered "Permanent". https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/mobile-48v-system.html
Hard to say, probably want to ask on an insurance forum or something.

The solar part for "permanent" gets dicy because I don't believe there is a standard code compliant way to have disconnectable solar panels mounted on structure. If it was a deployable setup like on an RV or truck then sure.

This is about the limit of what I can say on the subject.

Hard to say, probably want to ask on an insurance forum or something.

The solar part for "permanent" gets dicy because I don't believe there is a standard code compliant way to have disconnectable solar panels mounted on structure. If it was a deployable setup like on an RV or truck then sure.

This is about the limit of what I can say on the subject.
OK, but at this point there are NO panels involved and in my sisters case, there probably never will be...

My guess is if the portable system is air-gapped from the house (IE not plugged in for charging or discharge and left off) most of the time then the chances of a problem are pretty low.

In that case it might also escape the definition of ESS (Energy Storage System) in the code which is what triggers UL9540. You can google for the text of NEC and International Residential Code to verify and rules lawyer it.

I had one of these installed, with critical loads on it, and an external generator input.

You can select which circuits you want powered by generator, and leave the rest on the grid.

Plug whatever you like into the generator input, be it generator, or your battery/inverter system.

Not sure on codes or legality, but the generator transfer switch and input side of it is good to go.

Hi All, I have a EG4 3KW inverter that is fed by a 30 amp breaker from my main panel and also a 48 volt 200AH battery bank. It is feeding a critical load panel, with grid first, battery second and solar (yet to instal) 3rd.

I did it this way as I'm not always present when we have an outage which happens very frequently. My sister wants me to do this for her house and is wondering if it's a "Legal" way to do things? She's worried about insurance is anything "goes south"?

I do have breakers installed between the batteries and also a disconnect before th sub panel. Any problem with the way I've done this? I do want to somehow connect a small generator if the grid is down for an extended period. Perhaps I'll install a breaker between the grid and a generator if I need to run the generator.

Thanks for any insights.
Here's a picture of an EG4- 3000 Wagon I built, currently configured in Auto Backup mode, ... powered by Battery ... with 30 Amp plugs and cords for 120Vac In and Out. I love the Plugs Idea for documenting this a Portable Power Supply unit.

Attachments

• PXL_20231030_184855942~3.jpg
    PXL_20231030_184855942~3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20231105_221749134~2.jpg
    PXL_20231105_221749134~2.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 11
Back