diy solar

diy solar

Is it possible to wired my chargers like this?

quanfu

Hi everyone,

I've a setup that needed some advice. Thank you!

Setup:
12V 120A lifepo4 batteries x 4
12V 50A lifepo4 chargers x 4
(The 4 batteries are setup in parallel)

Question:
Is it possible to have 4 chargers (1 for each battery)? Please see my attach picture and advise me because i'm afraid something may break.

Use Case:
The batteries in parallel can provide power to an underground off-grid server that lasted 4 days. I got a way to provide shore power every 3 days, but my time inside is limited and wanted to recharge all batteries to full within 2-3 hours when i am there.

Attachments

• Battery.png
    Battery.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 8
Hi everyone,

I've a setup that needed some advice. Thank you!

Setup:
12V 120A lifepo4 batteries x 4
12V 50A lifepo4 chargers x 4
(The 4 batteries are setup in parallel)

Question:
Is it possible to have 4 chargers (1 for each battery)? Please see my attach picture and advise me because i'm afraid something may break.

Use Case:
The batteries in parallel can provide power to an underground off-grid server that lasted 4 days. I got a way to provide shore power every 3 days, but my time inside is limited and wanted to recharge all batteries to full within 2-3 hours when i am there.

Concur with @hwy17

So the reason for multiple chargers is so you can pump enough juice into them with the time you have?

Does your inverter also have a charger function?

When are you installing solar? :p

hey, thanks for the quick replies guys

the server is underground so its too tough for me to consider solar 😅

im glad to know this wiring setup is possible to work (y)

another question: if a battery became faulty one day, what would happen to the charger on it? will there be any issue? does it pass the 50A current down to the other batteries thru the bus bar, resulting in more than 0.5C charging rate on the other batteries?

hey, thanks for the quick replies guys

the server is underground so its too tough for me to consider solar 😅

I know, but you're getting the wires underground somehow, eh? :p

im glad to know this wiring setup is possible to work (y)

another question: if a battery became faulty one day, what would happen to the charger on it?

Nothing really.

will there be any issue?

Yes.

does it pass the 50A current down to the other batteries thru the bus bar, resulting in more than 0.5C charging rate on the other batteries?

Yes.

It really depends on how one of the batteries fails. If it fails in short or has a single dead cell, it may pull current from other batteries and chargers creating a relatively bad situation. If it fails in open circuit (pretty rare), it will be like it's not there.

I know, but you're getting the wires underground somehow, eh? :p

haha unfortunately i can't position permanent cables

Nothing really.

Yes.

Yes.

It really depends on how one of the batteries fails. If it fails in short or has a single dead cell, it may pull current from other batteries and chargers creating a relatively bad situation. If it fails in open circuit (pretty rare), it will be like it's not there.

in this case, i guess it may be necessary to do random checks on the voltage & current of each cable when charging.
or
i could also consider using Anderson connector at all points of contact (battery, bus bar, charger)? for example, i can unplug from bus bar and plug into the charger for individual charging. then plug back to the bus bar when all batteries are full :unsure:

Back