diy solar

diy solar

Jon boat with solar assist

gnappi

I have a 10' Jon boat that I have three 30AH batteries for. One battery runs the dashboard with bilge pump, and electronics. One battery runs the Minnkota 50 lb. trolling motor with one battery on a switch for when the first battery gets sluggish but when I switch batteries it's time to turn around.

What I want to do is setup a solar system to supplement my running battery with one or two solar panels and a charge controller. I'm well acquainted with using solar power but my issue(s) are more mechanical in nature and if anyone who may have equipped a Jon boat I'd be open to suggestions.

I don't have spare deck space for solar panels which would be mostly inefficient due to their being flat and rarely angled towards the sun, and when angled right with the sun nearly overhead will be shadowed by my fishing buddy.

So, I'd need some sort of "hard top" that would be removable or able to fold it to fit in my raised top camper top, and be out of the way or high enough to facilitate casting.

lowe_stern_new348r.jpg

inst_panel_night.jpg

Wel you need to beult it your self .
Wat i will do is make it like a Biminitop so you can set it flat if you set your boat away .
Or use see attach file.
And make it your self with a connector.
You can move it and set it to the sun.
Its use on sailing boats.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240622-004929.png
    Screenshot_20240622-004929.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 7
Wel you need to beult it your self .
Wat i will do is make it like a Biminitop so you can set it flat if you set your boat away .
Or use see attach file.
And make it your self with a connector.
You can move it and set it to the sun.
Its use on sailing boats.
Thanks, that vertical solar mount just may work perfectly.
Maybe upgrade to a center console boat and put the panels on the T-top. :)
Show me a CC that's light enough for a 72 year old to stuff into his full size Silverado with a hi top camper top and I'm all ears.

Kids, all they can think about is upgrades. I bet my boat cost less than your phone :)

silverado_topper.jpg

The float idea mentioned above isn't the worst in the world. If you got one or two of the CIGS 100 watt panels and tie wrapped a couple of small fenders to the grommets on one side, you could lash the other side to the gunnel of the Jon boat and motor/fish without the panels being in your way. They would just float alongside your port and starboard. I think the BougeRV CIGS 100 watt panels are 83 inches long by 14.5 inches wide, so shorter than your 10 foot boat. Waterproof and bullet resistant too.

Show me a CC that's light enough for a 72 year old to stuff into his full size Silverado with a hi top camper top and I'm all ears.

Kids, all they can think about is upgrades. I bet my boat cost less than your phone :)

View attachment 223971
Ah. . . vehicle constraint. I get it. You are old, I'm only 68.:p I got my phone from my job. . . that was a while ago though :unsure:

My boat is a little bigger, so I needed a trailer.
IMG_2400 4 copy.jpeg
I only run a 100 watt solar on the top to keep the batteries fresh. Finding enough area for the solar panels on a boat can be tricky.

Last edited:
"L" brackets on the transom that put the panel above the motor is the only solution that comes to mind that wouldn't interfere with the operation of the boat and minimal potential for interference fishing. The biggest "gotcha" to account for is a quick release to remove and stow it for transport.

Ah. . . vehicle constraint. I get it. You are old, I'm only 68.:p I got my phone from my job. . . that was a while ago though :unsure:

My boat is a little bigger, so I needed a trailer.
View attachment 224007
I only run a 100 watt solar on the top to keep the batteries fresh. Finding enough area for the solar panels on a boat can be tricky.
That trailer will not fit for my boat lol.
12.000 kilo lol
But a nice boat

diy solar

diy solar
Back