diy solar

diy solar

June 6, 2022 - President Biden is authorizing the use of the Defense Production Act (DPA) to accelerate domestic production of clean energy tech

Once you wade through all the fanfare in the document you get to the relevant information:

"
  • Temporarily facilitating U.S. solar deployers’ ability to source solar modules and cells from Cambodia, Malaysia, Thailand, and Vietnam by providing that those components can be imported free of certain duties for 24 months in order to ensure the U.S. has access to a sufficient supply of solar modules to meet electricity generation needs while domestic manufacturing scales up; and
  • Reinforcing his commitment to safeguarding the integrity and independence of all ongoing trade investigations by career officials at the Department of Commerce and recognizing the vital role these processes play in strengthening our economy."
With one stroke of the pen he cut off the Department of Commerce at the knees killing their investigation, allowing the free flow of solar panels back into the country for the next two years. Not that its a bad thing, just kinda kicks the poor people at the Department of Commerce in the gut. That second bullet point was the knockdown punch.

U.S. solar deployers’ ability to source solar modules and cells
Am I a deployer?

Or just sunrun and other co’s celebrating with the joy of markup and overhead-for-profit?

In other words, helps people?
Or just companies?

And where’s South Korea in that list? Don’t they make good panels?

And what about the silicon base crystals? Don’t they come from China anyway?

Last edited:
...And where’s South Korea in that list? Don’t they make good panels?...
I think that list is about reversing the ban from the countries that were price-fixing.
South Korea does make some good panels. LG doesn't make them anymore, but there's probably another dozen companies. Hanwha (aka Q-Cells) are the ones folks in the U.S. are probably most familiar with, but Q-Cell panels for the U.S. come from their factory in Georgia rather than SOuth Korea.

And what about the silicon base crystals? Don’t they come from China anyway?
Interesting question. For panels, China probably produces more than anyone else (e.g., Jinko, Trina). But Japan, South Korea, Mexico, and a number of other countries do too. Most panels in the U.S. are probably made in the U.S. (e.g., Panasonic, LG, Mission Solar, QCells) or nearby (e.g., SunPower are from Mexico) to reduce shipping. But as to the cells the panels are made from, IDK.

...In other words, helps people?...Or just companies?
Probably depends on who you ask. For example, lifting the bans allows access to lower cost panels which consumers enjoy and helps solar installers stay afloat. But, it might put American companies out of business.

"Put the full power of federal procurement to work spurring additional domestic solar manufacturing capacity by directing the development of master supply agreements, including “super preference.”

That basically means no competition. Which will result in wasted taxpayer dollars. My money being wasted.

Remember KBR? I bet many of you don't. KBR = Kellogg, Brown & Root. - look it up! They were sole source contract awarded the LOGCAP contract to support the war effort in Iraq AND Afghanistan. Dick Cheney benefited from the award.

I am betting this is nothing more than using "war powers" authority, when we are not at war, to enrich political members and their constituents... err... I mean.. cash contributors.

Not impressed.

Last edited:
For example, lifting the bans allows access to lower cost panels which consumers enjoy and helps solar installers stay afloat. But, it might put American companies out of business.
If domestic production capacity is discouraged or diminished by government actions then that is plain wrong. It’s like the politicals want us to be dependent. Self consumption doesn’t hurt the economy.
On the other hand some installers are raping people and those could stand being eliminated from the market.

Back