diy solar

diy solar

Largest battery size to fit into standard battery case

Ged13

My RV has a space for 2 100ah batteries on a frame - I don see anyone using DIY battery build that fits directly into existing battery case.

This is bumper pull, no garage space and very limited space inside to build all batteries, inverters etc. I don’t want to go with drop in 100ah replacement as 2 100ah is not enough. Need minimum 450ah (600ah recommended) per calculation spreadsheet.

Couple of questions:

1. Any reason why not to keep lifepo4 batteries outside on a frame in existing boxes(Not camping in freezing temps, only storage is in freezing weather)
  2. Summer time temps can go to 100F, would EVE LIFEPO4 batteries be severely affected in heat?
  3. What is largest ah capacity that can fit into standard AGM deep cycle battery case - (12v 100ah is too small)
  4. Anyone is aware of someone making a case that would fit 8 “EVE LF304 304Ah 320Ah 3.2V LiFePO4 Prismatic” that could be mounted where the 2 batteries currently are located and exposed to elements? I would install BMS inside case too.
Thank you!

Attachments

• A70A3383-A014-4E9C-8377-54D36B3B4209.jpeg
    A70A3383-A014-4E9C-8377-54D36B3B4209.jpeg
    477.5 KB · Views: 10
The advantage of a diy battery is you get to make it whatever size you want. Find the size of the 304ah cells - will four of them fit? Go and look for a box that will work.

Now another option is 100ah cells or 150ah cells, there are lots of sizes.

As a full-time RVer, I find cold weather sneaks up on us in the spring and fall camping- the nighttime low can get to 32F. So if you have solar, make sure you have the mppt set for low temperature cutoff (Victron will do that - some brands do - some don’t).

Make sure your tongue weigh is good for the new battery. Yes lithium’s weight less than lead - but if you put a much bigger lithium- you could go over weight.

High temp’s 100F = 38C will cause the battery to age faster, but they last so long - one year shorter life is probably something you can live with.

Also, more solar helps offset more batteries… and they are cheaper!

Back