diy solar

diy solar

Leave LiFepo4 battery connected or disconnected?

Scotty

I would like the thoughts of the knowledgeable here, I've recently fitted a drop in LiFepo4 120 A/H battery to my caravan and was wondering during the times we aren't using the van whether it would be better leave the battery connected with solar (on float) or disconnect the battery completely.
The LiFepo4 manufacturer says it is a true drop in battery and that it is OK but I've read so much on the no no's of keeping LiFepo4 batteries fully charged or on float when storing as it is said it can reduce the life of the batteries considerably.
I have an isolator on the solar panels that can be turned off but there will be a small parasitic drain (approx 150mA) if I leave the battery connected.

What do you reckon?

Scotty

I'd disconnect the + lead from the battery if it's going into storage. Over time the battery will self discharge, but lithium itself has a quite low discharge rate and even when the onboard BMS is taken into consideration it's still going to be a low rate. IMO bring it up to 80% charge and it'll fine for 6+ months of being disconnected. Approx 75% charge left at 6 month point, assuming 1% / month self discharge.

If you need a lot of power when you first reconnect the battery, ie, you can't simply charge it up, bring it up to 90% (waiting for the shocked gasps!) and you'll have approx 85% charge available at the 6 month point.

Yeah thanks gnubie, the longest the van is left unattended is about 3-4 months so I think disconnecting the solar and battery is the way to go.;)

diy solar

diy solar
Back