diy solar

diy solar

Charging LiFePo4 Battery Under Load

madgrizzle

This is not a question regarding solar power installation, but this forum seems pretty knowledgeable with regards to batteries so I figured I'd ask this question here. I've been working on a robot as a mid-life crisis project for a couple of years and have come to the conclusion I need a lot more battery capacity. I'm currently using two 12V 20AH lead acid batteries in parallel (all the electronics run off 12V or a DC-DC converter) and am looking at a single LiFePo4 100A battery as a replacement. The specific question in regards to charging the robot's batteries. I do not want to disconnect the battery or turn off all the robot electronics while charging the battery. Will a LiFePo4 battery charger be able charge a battery while there is also a load applied to it? Obviously the output current of the charger has to be greater than the load and that having such a load will increase the amount of time it will take the charge the battery (less current to the battery).. that I can deal with.. but my specific question is whether the charger will be 'confused' by the presence of the load and not actually properly charge the battery?

Back