diy solar

diy solar

LiFePO4 charging question

DyslexicDancer

Question for you guys on an Off Grid Cabin Solar power system

I have read that LiFePO4 batteries do not like to be stored at 100% charge capacity and that it's better to store them around 50%

I'm in the process of building an off grid cabin on a hunting property I own, the cabin will see very little use throughout the year, but when I'm there I do want power.

I'm installing some solar and rack server batteries

I will be charging the batteries with a Victron Smart Solar MPPT charge controller

Is there a way to program the Victron to not fully charge the batteries on a daily basis, for example only allow charging once the batteries reach 50% state of charge

Just wondering how I should program the Victron charge controller so I don't ruin my batteries by keeping them at 100% SOC for months on end with no use.

Is there a way to program the Victron to not fully charge the batteries on a daily basis, for example only allow charging once the batteries reach 50% state of charge
Not that I know of.

I have Victon 100/30 and 100/50 and the only way for me to stop is set a lower charge voltage, and because of the "High and low Knees" of the lithium charge profile, may not reach the voltage you want.

13.13 may be the "50%" charge voltage for lithium batteries at 6 volts, but they do settle a little after being charged, and even settled at 13.13, the SOC will be off of 50%. Don't now how much above or below it will be.

I have disconnected my lithium batteries at 50% SOC and stored in the heat for up to six months.

Just select a slightly lower absorption charge - (just above what your bms does it’s balancing at), and a lower float charge say 13.3v (3.325v/cell).

That will help. And you won’t ruin the cells holding them there - they may not last as long as if held at 50% - but they will still last a long time.

Plus when you get to the cabin the battery is basically full.

Back